« Bienveniedos a mi blog | Main | El Centro Cultural La Marin »

"No olvidemos que la mayoría de las transformaciones sociales se desatan primero en el ámbito de la cultura para después adquirir demensiones políticas y económicas."

Translation: "Let´s not forget that the majority of social transformations are first unleashed in the environment of culture later to aquire political and economic demensions." -The Monthly "what´s happening in the theatre world" Magazine in Quito "Desde el teatro"

So friends, romans, compañeros! I picked a good time to arrive in Ecuador. Right now it is the "Festival Internacional de Teatro Experimental 2007" It started September 27th and goes until the 31st of October. This ofcourse means I´ve had plenty to see since I´ve arived here.

I just got out of a play called "La Flor De La Chukirawa" por el grupo contraelviento. The flower of the ¿chukirawa? by the group againsthewind. It was a very interesting experience. The play was about an interview with an indigenious woman in Ecuador who´s son died fighting in the war in Iraq. It was great being the only gringo in the theatre.

The play ofcourse started 30 mins late. and...like everything I´ve seen here it had a wonderful poetic way of "no se desenvuelve de formal lineal ni se subordina al texto" (not following a linear format or conforming to the text)

Aqui está la pagina de contraelviento si quieres aprender más
http://www.edufuturo.com/educacion.php?c=859

It´s very political format seems to be a strong theme of the theatre here. It is very hard to disconect theatre from polictics in a society where they are so strongly tied together. Especially now the political environment is super charged and hopeful because of the Asamblea Constituyente that has just been elected. Ecuador is on the precipice of change and the theatre world is right there writing the new history along with it.

Another interesting piece of theatre I saw last week was called. "La Noche de las tulipanes" en la universidad central. It was a theatre/dance piece which followed the stories of 5 characters who were stowaways on a boat to illegally immigrate to Spain. Many of the people here leave the country in search of what they believe is a better life. The play focused a lot on the fantasy world created by this dream.

¿Qué Mas?

I know that my internship will be with "Centro Cultural La Marin." This is a government afiliated cultural center with a lot going on from clown clubs to theatre for social critique. It´s not super clear to me what I´ll be doing as of right now but it should be something interesting and theatrical.

There´s a lot that I´m missing in this breif entry... Hay mucho que falta este explicación breve...

But I´m going to go out an live some life now. Chao chao!

Hi Haley, you don't know me. My name is Brent Grihalva and I'm a Freshman at the U. I'm set for Theatre major in the BA program right now. I'm looking to study abroad in South America for like my sophmore year sometime and your blog really interests me, especially because my grandparents and other relatives are from Ecaudor and some still live in Quito. I'm not sure where I want to go yet, but your blog just gets me more excited to go. thanks and keep enjoying yourself.
-Brent