March 02, 2012
The University Honors Program is currently seeking applicants for the position of Peer Assistant (fall 2012-spring 2013). Applicants must be in their sophomore or junior year during the 2012-2013 academic year.
Peer Assistant Academic Year Responsibilities
Honors Peer Assistants perform a wide variety of tasks that support the UHP mission to guide and challenge students from across the University as they develop into broad, creative, independent, and informed thinkers. Peer Assistants provide office support to the University Honors Program director, associate directors, academic advisors, and support staff.
Peer Assistants Job Duties:
- Greet visitors and assist students with questions about Honors
- Answer phones; manage multiple lines
- Schedule appointments in Google Calendar
- Prepare student information files for advisors on a timely basis; print transcripts and various reports
- Perform back-up duties for Student Services Specialist
- Make posters/handouts
- Research and compile data for one-time projects
- Create and maintain Excel spreadsheets
- Clean and organize work center and storage rooms
- Copy, print, scan, shred
- Run errands on campus
An academic year commitment is expected with an availability of 4-8 hours per week during fall and spring semesters; some hours during winter and spring breaks are available. Peer Assistants are required to attend training at the start of the academic year.
Currently enrolled and active in the honors program at the U of M-Twin Cities; full-time enrollment for fall 2012 and spring 2013; strong academic record; evidence of involvement in campus or community activities; excellent communication skills; attention to detail; basic knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint; interest in working with honors students from diverse backgrounds and areas of interest.
Official job classification title for the Peer Assistant position is Undergraduate Teaching Assistant I. Pay rate is $9.14 per hour.
To apply, please provide the following documentation:
- Application form
- Current resume
- Personal statement (approximately 250 words) telling us why you are interested.
Application, resume, and personal statement are due by 4:30 pm on March 30, 2012.
Submit by U of M Campus Mail, U.S. Mail, hand deliver, or email to:
University Honors Program
20 Nicholson Hall
216 Pillsbury Drive S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455