Secondary Navigation

UHP Home

Telephone: 612-624-5522
Fax: 612-626-7314
Email:

MonFri, 8 am–4:30 pm
Northrop
84 Church Street SE, Suite 390
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Student Profiles

Joelle Stangler and John Reichl have recently been elected as President and VP of the Minnesota Student Association! The MSA veterans are currently serving on the executive board of the University Honors Student Association (UHSA) and will begin their term at the start of the 2014–15 academic year.

Stangler, a sophomore majoring in Political Science, has been serving as Ranking Representative to the Board of Regents for MSA. She sees her new role as an opportunity to give back to students on campus. "I would encourage every UHP student to join MSA, even if it's only for a semester," Stanger said. "You will learn how to change policy, lobby effectively, and lead groups on projects."

Reichl, a junior majoring in Finance, is the current President of UHSA and also serves as a Representative to the Board of Regents for MSA. He cites his experience with UHP and UHSA as preparation for his new role in MSA, and encourages all UHP students to become more involved. "To be an effective advocate for students, it's crucial to experience the breadth and depth of the entire undergraduate experience here at the U of M," Reichl explains. "MSA would be strengthened immensely by drawing on the unique perspectives, talents, and knowledge of UHP students."

To learn more about opportunities with MSA, check out their website.

Congratulations, Joelle and John!

Lee Stecklein, a UHP student in the Carlson School of Management, was the youngest player to skate with the United States Women's Hockey Team at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Stecklein and her teammates won a Silver Medal. "It was the experience of a lifetime," Stecklein recently told The Minnesota Daily. "It didn't turn out exactly the way we all wanted at the end, but [it was] still something I'll remember forever."

Stecklein, who helped the Golden Gophers women's hockey team to a National Championship in her freshman season, will return to the University to resume her studies—and her college hockey career—this fall.

Read the full article in the Daily to hear more about Stecklein's Olympic Experience. Congratulations, Lee!

Alumni Update: Paul Stadem

Paul Stadem graduated summa cum laude with a BS in Biochemistry last spring, and was awarded a Fulbright to conduct research in Uganda.

As an undergraduate in the University Honors Program, Paul conducted research in Dr. Troy Lund's pediatric hematology/oncology/BMT lab, which is part of the Blazar Laboratory. Dr. Lund's lab worked to increase understanding of mesenchymal stromal cells and their possible roles in hematopoiesis. Paul's research culminated in the completion of his Honors Thesis: "Investigating Perivascular Cells and Mesenchymal Stromal Cells in the Danio Rerio Model Organism."

In December 2013, Paul traveled to Kampala, Uganda for a six-month Fulbright Research Grant. He's currently researching systemic markers of oxidative stress in patients with G6PD deficiency. Although the project differs significantly from the research he conducted as an undergraduate, Paul knows that his time at the University of Minnesota allowed him to develop the skills required to handle the challenges of problem solving associated with his current research. "Other members of Dr. Lund's lab had projects that focused on G6PD deficiency as well as oxidative stress using the zebrafish model organism. Although I was not directly involved in those projects, I was involved in the scientific brainstorming that accompanied research in these projects during our lab meetings," he explains.

You can follow Paul's Fulbright experience—from detailed information on his research to his personal adventures in Uganda—on his Fulbright Blog.

Congratulations, Paul—and good luck!

Faculty-directed undergraduate research is one of the most significant ways in which UHP students enhance their learning here at the University of Minnesota. Three students in the College of Biological Sciences—Rachel Soble (Double major in Genetics, Cell Biology & Development and Computer Science, class of 2015), Ayo Gazal (Neuroscience Major, class of 2015), and Ravi Patel (Biochemistry Major, class of 2013)—are currently involved in exciting lab-based research here at the U. View their videos below to learn a bit more!

Rachel Soble, Gralnick Lab—Engineering Bacterial Cooperation

Ayo Gazal, Vitek Lab—The effect of Parkinson's Disease on gait in non-human primates

Ravi Patel, Burkhard Seelig Lab—Engineering and evolving proteins in the lab

Jasmine Omorogbe graduated summa cum laude with a Bachelor's degree in Communications Studies in 2010—her experience in the University Honors Program was rich and rewarding, and it helped to prepare her for what came next.

After working at the U's Office of Admissions and the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence after graduation, Jasmine left Minnesota to study at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. While there, she served as a Graduate Research Assistant with Dr. Bridget Terry Long, started three student organizations, and participated in four others (serving as an officer in two groups). After completing 32 graduate credits in the intensive nine-month program, Jasmine graduated with a Master of Education degree in Higher Education on May 30, 2013. She was nominated by her cohort to serve as the Class MarshaI, and had the honor of receiving a medal and leading her class at the graduation ceremony.

Only four days after graduation, Jasmine moved to Raleigh, North Carolina, where she will begin her career as Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Affairs at North Carolina State University. She'll be teaching an undergraduate course, coordinating programming, mentoring students, and making many other efforts to boost the success of students at N.C. State.

Congratulations, Jasmine!

More on Jasmine's experience in the University Honors Program

Meet Katrina Klett. With a major in Asian languages and literatures/Chinese and a minor in sustainability studies, Klett focuses on beekeeping as a means to alleviate poverty and protect biodiversity in developing countries. Dr. Marla Spivak, Distinguished McKnight University Professor of Apiculture & Social Insects, has worked with Klett on her research and calls her "the most remarkable young woman and undergraduate I have ever met," noting her "incredible potential to make an enormous impact in international development and environmental sustainability."

After winning two prestigious scholarships this spring—both the Harry S. Truman Scholarship and the Udall Scholarship—Klett will return to the University of Minnesota for the final year of her undergraduate experience in the University Honors Program, and plans to pursue a Masters degree in Public Affairs at Columbia University. We had the chance to catch up with Katrina before the end of the spring 2013 term.

Photo by Patrick O'Leary for University Relations.

UHP: You've been around bees for much of your life. Can you tell me a bit about your family's business and how it shaped your experiences as a young person?

Klett: We moved between North Dakota and Texas all my life. We are queen breeders, so we breed queen bees in the South and produce honey in the North. This meant we were on the road together quite a lot of the time, moving between our seasonal work. As a child, I spent a lot more time with my family and less time with friends than other kids did. We worked, moved, and socialized with other beekeeping families that also were migratory, and we still do. Our business is a central part of my life and always has been.

UHP: Bees have been in the news lately—unfortunately, mostly due to declining honeybee populations. There have been stories on NPR and in U.S. News and World Reports about the challenges faced by bee populations—specifically "Colony Collapse Disorder." What do you see as the most significant challenges faced by bee populations now and in the future, and how do you hope to be involved in meeting those challenges?

Klett: To risk oversimplifying the problem, a lot of what is happening is a result of the ultra modern agricultural system in the United States today. Our bees are flying out into pesticide-laden dead zones of monocrop agriculture—particularly corn and beans in this part of the world. Of course there are many things that are impacting honeybee health, but in a nutshell, ultra efficient industrial agriculture isn't good for bees. I am quite focused right now on working in developing countries that are starting to look to industrialized nations for examples on how to develop their own agriculture. I want to help farmers, beekeepers, and local governments understand that following directly in our footsteps is not the right direction for their apicultural industries. There are better, lower impact ways to increase income, to increase food production, and to maintain environmental integrity. As for U.S. issues, my family is focused on breeding a more disease-resistant honeybee. This is our contribution to the bee health issue in the U.S. After I graduate from the U, I want to get involved in policy advocacy, especially with issues surrounding the Farm Bill.

UHP: You're the beekeeping expert for Shangrila Farms in China's Yunnan region. You're also studying Chinese here at the U. How did these interests first intersect, and how did your interest in bees first bring you to China?

Klett: I have always been a lover of foreign languages. I keep bees because I have always been around bees, but the study of language is a real hobby of mine! I was studying Chinese and was paying attention to the controversy here in the U.S. about Chinese honey production practices. It's a very touchy issue here. The Chinese are accused of dumping honey on our market, and so relations are not very good between Chinese and American beekeepers—yet they are the number one producers of honey. The Chinese Government is quite liberal in their funding of apicultural research, and the species diversity of bees in China is very rich. I wanted to go over there and see for myself, I guess. There isn't much exchange of real information between beekeepers in China and the United States, I guess because of anger over trade issues—but trade is one thing, and bees and beekeeping are quite another. I wanted to establish contacts and learn about their bees and beekeepers. I wanted to have a bit of an exchange, and it turned into a long journey.

UHP: Can you tell us a bit more about the organic beekeeping process at Shangrila and the surrounding region in China?

Klett: Shangrila Farms is a brand of honey and other natural products sold in Beijing and around China. It was started by Sahra, Alia, and Safi Malik, who purchase coffee and honey directly from farmers in a fair trade manner. In addition to supporting farmers with a guaranteed market, they support training programs to teach farmers how to produce coffee or raise bees, which is where I come in. We started very small, but have expanded our outreach considerably and are going to expand even more this coming year. They are absolutely wonderful people to work for, and their model of socially responsible business as a way to give back to the community is really a great model.

UHP: What can bees teach us about the importance of biodiversity and sustainability?

Klett: I think bees teach us that our current method of agricultural food production in the U.S. is not sustainable. Before World War II, when farming was still done on family farms, bees were flourishing in this country. Admittedly, honeybee decline is not a simple problem with a clear, smoking-gun culprit. But it is very clear to researchers and people who work in the beekeeping industry, that when you lose biodiversity in the form of natural areas, or small family farms which grow a variety of crops, you create large monocrop areas where pollinators (as well as other life forms) cannot survive. Bees struggle to survive with the level of pesticides needed for such intensive agricultural production and they struggle to find adequate nutrition when they forage over miles and miles of a single crop species. In this country, we have turned our diverse prairies into fields of corn and beans, most of it not even for human consumption. Our bees now fly out into a landscape completely altered by humans, and we are finding that they cannot easily make it. If this is the case for the Midwest, what was traditionally our largest honey-producing region, then we can say that the deaths of our honeybees are like canaries in the mineshaft. This should be sounding the alert to everyone that we need to seriously rethink how we grow food and operate our agricultural industries, as well as how we write our agricultural policy.

UHP: Here at the University, you've worked directly with Professor Marla Spivak, who focuses on Apiculture and Social Insects in the Department of Entomology. Can you talk a bit about how you were connected with Professor Spivak, and about the research you've been doing?

Klett: I received a UROP undergraduate research grant to study the mechanism by which bees collect propolis. Propolis is a sticky plant sap, which has been found to also act as a kind of pseudo immune system for honeybees. It is very amazing stuff, propolis. It's well known that bees dance to stimulate foraging behavior for honey collection—the dance communicates the location and quality of the nectar source. We wanted to see if they were doing the same for propolis. It turns out that they do not seem to dance to stimulate propolis collection, but it was good information to establish. It was also my first real experience in research and in a laboratory, and I learned a great deal working in Dr. Spivak's lab.

UHP: You've been pretty busy lately, with Truman and Udall Scholarships to show for it! You have one more year here as an undergraduate at the U—can you tell us about what you hope to achieve next year, and beyond?

Klett: Well I'm very interested in urban agriculture that is starting to crop up (no pun intended) around the United States. Lately people have been talking to me about Chicago and Detroit as examples where agriculture in the urban environment can sometimes revitalize certain neighborhoods and communities. I have also watched with interest as they have changed the policy in Minneapolis about keeping bees on rooftops. They are now making it much easier to do that, by eliminating the need for 80 percent of nearby dwellers to sign an agreement that hives can be kept. I would love to get involved in some of these kinds of efforts. I am excited to see the new Minneapolis 2025 initiatives and I hope that urban agriculture and bees are going to play a part in some of the exciting new plans in the works. After graduation I am going to move to New York, where I will be applying for an M.S in Environmental Science and Policy at Columbia University. A little further into the future, I see a potential Ph.D. and more rural development projects. I am hoping to partner with people who are focused in environmental public health, because I think we do can some really interesting things together. And of course, my goals always include going home to work in my family's business, which is very close to my heart.

I also want to talk a bit about the University Honors Program and how they have really shaped my experience at the University of Minnesota. I started at the University of Minnesota as a transfer student in 2007. I transferred directly into the UHP and met Sally Lieberman (Associate Director for National & International Scholarships) early on. I am really grateful that UHP has Sally on its staff. She is so dedicated to her work with students and national scholarships. She leaves no detail unexamined, and really pushes students to refine their writing, future goals, and overall worldview. Sally quite literally changed the entire direction that I am headed after graduation.

I also have been very fortunate to have Tim Jones as my UHP advisor. He has gone way above the call of duty to assist me in my academic goals. He even took the time to introduce me to an NGO leader in the Twin Cities community so that I could seek advice and learn more about this person's professional development. Being a UHP student is probably the best thing I could have done at the U, because I have been in this very close advising community. UHP sends me email about scholarships and grants that I seem eligible for, and they just really believe in their students and try to help us refine our goals and ourselves. I always love it when I have an excuse to go see them!

The University of Minnesota is a world-class university located in a national park, along one of the great rivers of the world. The Mississippi National River and Recreation Area (MNRRA), established by Congress in 1988, stretches for 72 miles on each side of the Mississippi through the heart of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. A "partnership park," because the Park Service owns very little land, MNRRA works with public agencies and nonprofit partners throughout the corridor to protect significant resources and interpret the stories and places of this nationally-significant corridor.

UHP students have been researching and discovering the Mississippi River in exciting ways -- both as part of HSEM courses and internships. Here are two excellent pieces that were produced in conjunction with these learning opportunities:

Joseph Manulik, a current UHP student in the College of Science & Engineering, wrote about the 1962 Oil Spills while working a river-related internship with the Minnesota Historical Society. Published in December 2012 by MinnPost.

Derek Holmer, a current UHP student in the College of Design, wrote about the river and Saint Paul Union Depot while taking HSEM 3039: Sustainability & Planning on the Great River. Published in January 2013 on the River Life website.

Brian Eby, a UHP student in genetics, cell biology, and development, is currently in Freiburg, Germany as a 2012-2013 Katherine E. Sullivan Scholar. Brian is studying the German healthcare system, but was interviewed by the U of M News Service before he left. Check out the feature, "Going abroad to be better at home."

Four UHP students—Meghan Palmer, Annie Favreau, Baylen Wagner, and Kevin Nguenkam—were among the winners of the U of M's Driven to Discover video contest, producing videos that highlight the unique experience of undergraduate study at U.

Benjamin VandenWymelenberg graduated Magna Cum Laude in 2012 with a B.S. in Architecture. Here he discusses the process of completing an Honors Thesis at the University of Minnesota.