Apologies

To those of you who have commented, I appreciate your support and interest in my blog. I would also like to apologize for having such a long period of time in which I have not been active in posting or responding to comments.

I began an internship with KeyStone Search, and have been very busy. I do intend to continue blogging, but there may be longer periods of time between posts.

Again, thank you for your continued support and readership.

Sincerely,

Adreanne

Inbound Marketing: What is it?

"Inbound Marketing" is a keyword I've been seeing more and more lately. I think that I understand the basics, but am looking to learn more.

weidert-group-logo.png

My aunt and uncle own a boutique agency that focuses on marketing, but offers planning through execution as well. More about Weidert Group can be found at www.weidert.com.

I asked my uncle more about Inbound Marketing and to what it is in 100 words or less. Here is what he said:

Inbound marketing is a strategy and associated tools & processes focused on content creation, search engines and social media, engineered to drive online awareness and attraction of your business and feed your sales funnel with the best prospects.

I needed a little more than just a definition, so I asked him to tell me why it was essential for companies. Here's his response:

What makes it essential is the evolution in human behavior resulting in the increasing importance of search as a critical element of any purchase decision. Whether we're acting as a private individual or as part of a business or formal organization, we rely more and more on search to find product and service providers, research their skills and qualifications, look for corroborating recommendations or referrals, and ultimately guide us to selecting a provider. So if your business isn't fully engaged in performing well in the search game, you're in trouble, because your competitors are hard at work.

blog_header3.jpg

I've been working to gain a better understanding of the concept to benefit me in the future. A great resource has been Weidert's blog, Whole Brain Marketing.

The Art of PR

In a class wrap up today, my public relations professor compared PR to something that made perfect sense. I had never thought of it this way, and haven't stopped thinking about how this was something that perfectly described what PR professionals do in their everyday life. She said PR was like..

spinning-plates.jpg

Spinning plates!!

Okay, so this picture may be exaggerating a little, but PR is like spinning plates.
Here's why:

-You'll start one thing at a time, but you'll continue to add more and more projects as time goes on

-You have to focus on the plate you're beginning to spin, but at the same time, you need to maintain all of the other plates

-It is the ultimate in multitasking

-You may be working alone, but you may also be with a group, in which instance you'll not only have to pay attention to the plates that you're responsible for, but also coordinate with your group to be sure all of the plates are spinning in conjunction with one another

And finally? You have to be super talented to do a great job :)

Next time somebody asks me what my major is, I'm totally going to tell them "spinning plates."

"For never was a story of more woe. Than this of Juliet and her Romeo." The conflict between Romeo and Juliet can be compared to the relationship between journalists and public relations professionals. They rely on one another, but there are many forces that split them apart.

l_62057_0117509_9a60e88f.jpg

PR professionals and journalists have a sort of love hate relationship. They need each other, but don't always want to admit it. Their biggest divide? One hint: It's not the difference in family names.

Understanding one another is the most critical skill for PR professionals working with journalists. The single most important thing for a PR professional is to understand how a journalist's job works, and how a news story becomes what we see on TV. Jamie Yuccas, reporter at WCCO says that the best PR professional are those who have previously worked in news.

More suggestions:

-Recognize that journalists have strict deadlines.

-Build a reputation: This means only sending relevant pitches, being cooperative, and always be ready when the journalist calls back.

-Don't send a ton of generic pitches to every reporter in a station (or a city!) The journalist is just going to delete your emails.

-Don't get disappointed: Journalists are assigned stories. This means they may have to write a negative piece about your business. Make it better by pitching positive stories about your company in the future.

The fate of Romeo and Juliet was not good, but it doesn't have to be the same for public relations and journalists. From Jamie Yuccas, "There's no need for us to kill ourselves, everything works out in the end."

Public Relations & Customer Service

After writing my post about TCF, I spent some time thinking about customer service and the impact it has on public relations for a company. Without strong customer service, a company is probably going to have a hard time thriving in the public relations realm.

I started to think that maybe I had too high of expectation of TCF. I don't often write complaint letter, but last year, it was necessary for me after a NIGHTMARE experience with Delta. It was my first time flying alone, and I got stuck in Milwaukee overnight due to technical issues with a plane. Without going into the gory details- I stayed in a hotel and came back to the airport at 3 am to see if I cleared standby for the flight I was switched to.
images.jpg
I went to speak with an attendant to get my standby ticket, and she looked at me, looked at her coworker and said "I'm way to hungover to deal with this. I can't believe I have to deal with these people today." I kept calm, but was incredibly disgusted at the attendant. At least wait until I'm out of earshot...

After I finally made it to Florida (my bags didn't make it), I sat down and wrote a calm email to Delta explaining my frustrations. I wasn't ready to boycott Delta completely, I just wanted to make someone aware that they need to step up their standards a bit.

I received a personalized email from a customer service rep explaining how sorry they were, and talking about my personal situation. This did give me a voucher to cover some of the cost of my next flight, which was also a bonus.

Of course I told everyone about my awful flight, but I also let everyone know how impressed I was by the quick response by Delta and what they did to remedy the situation. I have flown Delta ever since, and even though they still make mistakes, I know that I won't have trouble with their customer service department.

This brings me back to my point: customer service departments are essential in forming a positive public image of a company. Without strong customer service, people aren't going to care what your company has to say. I follow Delta on Twitter and Facebook, and had they not given me good customer service, I definitely would not care what they had to say through social media. I would have formed a strong opinion, and my behaviors would reflect my attitude toward them. Delta may not have the best customer service reps in the airports, but as long as you're willing to take the time to contact Delta and let them know about your experience, they are going to treat you well.

TCF Bank & Customer Service

logo.gif

I recently had a bad experience with TCF Bank. I wrote them a complaint letter (part of a class assignment, but I had definitely considered sending one on my own) and two weeks later, have not received any sort of response. The letter was calm and patient, and simply asked for a resolution for the problem that occurred.

This got me thinking about the way that customer service impacts a company. I know this goes back to the essentials; when a customer has a bad experience, they'll tell 9 people, but when they have a good one they'll only tell a couple, but it still surprised me that a company with a presence in the U of M campus area has had nothing to say to me about my experience.

I wrote an article about how social media is happening, even if a certain companies aren't involved. Just because the company isn't participating doesn't mean it's customers aren't. TCF Bank has lost even more respect from me, and even though I may not have a great social media presence, I will still let friends and family know about my frustrating experiences, and even more frustrating experience with no response to my complaint.

I could not find any official Twitter handles for TCF, but did find a variety of complaints. Maybe my next letter should include a social media campaign to improve the public perception of TCF.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with a TCF that didn't elicit a response?

Are Jon Huntsman's Daughters Helping or Hurting His Campaign?

Are the #jon2012girls effective in promoting their father for the 2012 GOP nomination? The girls are on Twitter, tweeting about debates and issues related to their father's campaign. They are making videos and spoofing other candidates ads. Are their attempts helping their father, or are they hurting his chances?

JON-HUNTSMAN-DAUGHTERS-TWITTER-large.jpg

A recent Twitter post:

Jon2012girls Huntsman Daughters:
Pizza Special with breadsticks $9.99 at your local Godfathers. #possibleHermanCainannouncements

Here they are making fun of candidate Herman Cain for his announcement that he will be making an announcement. Is this appropriate in the realm of political campaigns?

My original thought was that the "typical" Republican candidate was not likely to be on Twitter to look for information about candidates. A study by Professor Heather LaMarre shows that there are twice as many individuals who consider themselves republicans on Twitter looking for information about candidates as there are individuals who consider themselves to be democrats.

So the question then becomes; do republicans find the "Jon 2012 Girls" amusing and create a higher approval rating of the candidate?

In a class discussion, we talked about how the girls are getting views, Jon Huntsman's ratings are not moving up in the polls.

Although entertaining, the girls' attempts for their father do not seem to be boosting his results in polls, but there are definitely gaining awareness. This may be a situation of "any publicity is good publicity." Huntsman's personal campaign efforts may not be getting in the news, but his daughter's definitely are. I will admit (even though it is embarrassing) that until a discussion came up about the Huntsman daughters, I did not know anything about Jon Hunstman beyond the fact that he was running for the 2012 GOP nomination.

What do you think about the Jon 2012 Girls? Are they hurting or helping Jon Hunstman's campaign?

The Animal Humane Society may not open until noon, but that doesn't mean that animals are sleeping in! Volunteers and employees are in the shelters working at 6 a.m. Every cage and animal receives care, so they must get started early. The Animal Humane Society has five Twin Cities' locations, and all of them depend on a strong team both inside their doors and out in the community.

humane.png

Volunteer Hat
Each volunteer and employee has a special place in his or her heart for the organization. They all have rewarding experiences with the animals and thrive on feeling needed by the animals. Many of the full time employees started as volunteers. "I began volunteer work in a local rescue group and found that not was I only good at it, I could also make it a career" said Deb Balzer, Media Relations and Marketing Manager of AHS.

Educational Hat
Education is another main component of AHS. The organization's mission is to engage the hearts, hands and minds of the community, and does this in part through education. Balzer says "Education is a very important part of the work we do and in fact, we have an entire education department dedicated to bringing awareness to children through summer day camps, after school programs, in-classroom programs and youth groups. We firmly believe that if we can help children learn responsibility and teach compassion, they will have that through adulthood."

Humane education is especially important to AHS. Studies show that if adults commit a crime, there is likelihood that they were cruel to animals as children. The startling information has prompted the Humane Society to offer Humane Education to schools and groups to help prevent violence against both animals and humans.

Legislative Hat
The Animal Humane Society also educates citizen about legislation regarding animals and humane treatment. It is important for everyone to understand what types of legislation are being passed and how it could affect the humane society. "We are working hard to ensure Minnesota laws stay humane and are encouraging supporters to join us on the journey" says Balzer. By going to www.animalhumanesociety.org/takeaction, the public can sign up for action alerts and get involved.

Social Media is a Cocktail Party

Social media can be scary. It seems like a vast, endless world where mistakes can go viral, but so can cute kitten videos. Social media is compared to a cocktail party in a book by Jim Tobin, titled Social Media is a Cocktail Party. He approaches social media in an easy, fun platform that can be successful with the right tools and mindset. I personally love the cover art. Very clever and completely fitting.

socialmedia.png

A few top rules?
o The party goes on, with or without you.
• No matter what your company decides, social media is going to continue, and people are going to be talking about you, even if you're not listening to it.

o Listen and mingle before speaking
.
• You don't want to be that person at the party who barges in with a story about how your day was. You need to listen to what is going on (especially when you don't know all of the attendees) and enter conversation at an appropriate time.

o Don't drink too much.

• This rule has two meanings. First of all, you don't want to be the girl with the "proverbial lampshade on her head" and look like a fool. Tobin explains that many brands have a serious image, so being silly on social media is not congruent with brand image. The other idea is that you cannot participate in all social media platforms. You don't go to every cocktail party; you don't need to sign up for every single social media program you find. Choose the most important for your situation.

Bottom line? Social media is a cocktail party. Your customers are there. Where the hell are you?

Is "Quitting" Twitter an Effective PR Strategy?

In the midst of the Jo Paterno scandal, Ashton Kutcher hastily made a tweet about how insulting it was that Jo Pa was fired. He was immediately criticized and ridiculed for his comment. In response to the backlash, Ashton posted on his blog and explained his reasoning for the post. He said that he did not know the full story, and had only seen a headline that Paterno had been fired. Later, when he saw the full story on ESPN, he went back to Twitter to correct his error. Unfortunately, it was far too late. Kutcher said he would quit Twitter. This brings me to a question I've been pondering for a while. Does "quitting" Twitter work as an effective public relations crisis management solution?

In Jim Tobin's book, Social Media is a Cocktail Party, the author states explains that even if you're not a part of social media, your clients are. This book is focused on social media tools and tips for companies, but can be applied to celebrities as well. Even if Ashton leaves his Twitter account, fans and critics will still be talking about his comment and posting their opinions. Is it better for Ashton to be off of the sites, or would it be more fitting for him to stay online, defend himself, and show that his Twitter feed can be appropriate and informative?

Ashton Kutcher decided to stay on Twitter, but to let his management company take over his posts and control the content. Followers have an issue with this too, as they would prefer honesty and transparency than doctored comments by his management team.

Kutcher is not the first to claim he was dropping his account. Miley Cyrus stated she was quitting Twitter in 2009, due to the lack of privacy. When I checked Twitter today, she had an active account that had posts several times daily. John Mayer quit his account, citing the need for a lack of distractions while recording. Amanda Bynes quit her account without notice, later saying that she was uncomfortable with the lack of privacy. These celebrities currently have active accounts.

Looks like the threat to quit an account is truly just an empty threat. Celebrities must find more reasons to have an account that not, and that part of being a public figure means criticism and negative comments. Some stars have even used their social media platforms for a cause. In 2010, Lady Gaga, Kim Kardashian and Justin Timberlake stopped posting to raise money for Keep a Child Alive. They vowed to sign out of their accounts until they raised $1 million in donations for the organization. Advertisements were released to promote the cause. The stars raised the amount, and returned to tweeting and posting on Facebook.

kimkardashian.png

Do you think quitting social media helps to quiet celebrities' mistakes, or does it make fans and critics even more displeased with their actions?

Recent Comments

• babyliss pro perfect curl: riverside house conduite crew commander,babyliss curl babyliss curl secret secret read more
  • babyliss curl secret: most of the r babyliss curl secret emembers are suitabl read more
  • babyliss pro perfect curl: via minor collection of many of our,michael kors repl michael read more
  • fake michael kors bags: fa babyliss curl secret hair curler una preservation modern society read more
  • fake ray ban: 2013 is a complicated season,b babyliss curl secret abyliss curl read more
  • babyliss curl secret: 6 million stocks and shares at a price assortment of,babyliss read more
  • babyliss curl secret styler: cansado delete asedio p los paparazzis Interlace s babyliss pro read more
  • babyliss curl secret: to provide a london gangster during,babylis babyliss curl secret s read more
  • babyliss pro: About th michael kors replica they rec ree million dollars read more
  • babyliss pro perfect curl: this michael kors replica occassion your sweetheart focused practically alone read more

Recent Assets

• blog_header3.jpg
  • weidert-group-logo.png
  • spinning-plates.jpg
  • l_62057_0117509_9a60e88f.jpg
  • images.jpg
  • logo.gif
  • JON-HUNTSMAN-DAUGHTERS-TWITTER-large.jpg
  • humane.png
  • socialmedia.png
  • kimkardashian.png

Tag Cloud