Can I be an artist if I don't know how to paint?

As mentioned in the Bolman and Deal article, managers can fall into two different categories. We have the engineering type that emphasizes certainty and control, and the artistic type that encourages flexibility, creativity, and interpretation. When asked what type I fit most, my immediate reaction is artist. This mainly has to do with the fact that I am never really sure of anything and having too much control scares me, which automatically means that I have no business calling myself the engineering type. It also has to do with the fact that I think that most things should be taken on a case-by-case basis which appears to be a very flexible way of looking at things. However, as I begin to rethink my answer (as I often do), I find that I am actually certain that most situations are up for interpretation and that if I were in control, I would demand flexibility. Does that make me a enginartist? #befuddled
And on to a more serious question... how can I label myself an artist if I don't know how to paint? After much research, I decided that if this guy can show up under the "artist" google image search, any label I choose for myself will at least be acceptable to any googlers. Luckily most of the population uses google so that makes me borderline legit. Seabiscuit, the artist. Katie, the artist. Sounds good to me.

seabiscuit.jpg

But really- I think it is unrealistic to think that any manager can be successful without having some degree of both styles. Without having certainty and control, your employees will likely find you unorganized and incapable. Without being open to new ideas, your employees will find you cold-hearted and old fashioned. I would agree with the Bolman and Deal article that says "art is not a replacement for engineering but an enhancement." I think that the engineering aspect can lay the foundations for whatever organization you lead, but the artistic aspect is what can take whatever is or isn't working and make it better. You can't have bread without the butter.

But actually, I don't even like butter on my bread.

Hmm you've given me a lot to think about here.

Do you really not like butter on your bread? I HAD NO IDEA!!!

Also, thanks for getting this picture out there. I've always felt horses lack the recognition they deserve for their artistic talents. It's nice to know I'm not the only one...my niche was getting awfully lonely.

I am not a horse.