Recently in Gender Category

The Weaker Sex

This article really caught my attention. Stereotypically women have been labeled as the "weaker sex" however, this article basically proves that to be false by all their research on the male sex. While reading this article I was thinking about all the elder couples I know and realized that I do not know of a single couple that the female has passed before the male and I found that very interesting as it completely correlates to the articles research results. Although I found a lot of the research in the article to seem relatively accurate I disagree with the result that more women have depression than males. I believe that males are less likely to express that they have a problem and be particularly diagnosed with and treated for depression like most women are making it seem like less of them obtain the emotional disease. I do believe that the stereotype that women are the weaker sex should be changed. Although women are less likely to partake in some of the risky and hazardous behaviors men do, this article has shown that it does not make women the weaker sex, it prevents them from dying sooner, proving them to be the stronger sex.

The Weaker Sex

This article really surprised me. I would've never guessed that men were unhealthier than women. When I think of women, it's stereotypical, but I think that they seem to have more health related problems, probably because they are more emotional. When I actually start thinking about it though this article made sense. My parents are divorced, so my brothers and my dad live together. It's basically their own little bachelor pad plus me sometimes. My mom and I go to the doctor a lot more often than they do. Is it because we get sick more often? Maybe, but I don't think that's it. I think that it's just because we feel the need to get every little thing checked out with us. When my dad or either of my brothers gets ill, they hardly ever take a visit to the doctor. I'll be the one to tell them that they need to, but because of their "macho-manly" egos, they don't want to go in. My dad completely smashed his finger, which in turn led him to break it. It took him a few hours before he finally realized he needed to go in. However, if that would've happened to my mom or me, we would've rushed to the hospital right away. While guys tend to take more risks, I think the main factor to all of this is that they just try to suck it up and deal. Women try to take more preventative steps to maintain healthier lifestyles, while men don't. I would say that women aren't necessarily healthier than men, especially from birth, but they take more actions to try to stay healthy which leads them live longer and know when something is truly wrong. Studies need to be done to collect information on both sexes. Not one more than the other. Without doing this, accurate information cannot be gained. This being said, I wouldn't say that males are a "weaker sex". I don't think that there is such a thing. Both have their flaws, and while one may be a flaw for one sex, it can be a strength in the other. Many times, men and women can complement each other with the sense of "opposites attract."

I liked this article because it showed how gender stereotypes can be just that: purely stereotypes. Men are always portrayed as people who should be invincible, but like every living creature they are afflicted by natural traits that hinder them. Perhaps the notion that men should be invincible is non-constructive as it does nothing to help any issues they may be facing, or could cause them to ignore such issues causing them to grow into bigger ones.

The Weaker Sex

This article triggered me to think of the many stereotypes among genders. But most of all it reminded me that stereotypes don't just appear out of nowhere without some type of pattern. Men are stereotyped to be tough and not show their emotions or stress when they have them. I find this to be somewhat true. In the article, they mentioned that teenage boys are more likely to commit suicide than teenage girls. This makes sense to me because, stereotypically, girls are more open about their problems and when they hang out with each other a majority of their time is spent venting (something that would be seen as strange among boys hanging out together). Boys are taught to hold their emotions in (suck it up, you're acting like a girl). Boys are left to hold everything in. We learned in our last discussion that the more you concentrate on holding something in the harder it is for you to stay focused on everyday things. This can lead to a high level of stress which has many bad side affects. It was also mentioned in the article that women are twice as likely to suffer from depression over men but I agree with the author, perhaps this is do to women being more open with how they are feeling.
Something that really shocked me was that men are less likely to survive than women even as early as in the womb. I have no theories as to why this would be and am interested in hearing more about that hopefully in a future article. I agree with the author once again when she says that medical professionals may need to focus more on the condition of men rather than allocating funds for solely female medical research.
I think that this article was very interesting in the sense that it went after the difference among genders on the medical level rather than the social level which is what most people thing of. When I think of differences between genders I immediately think "tough guys" and "emotional women". Again this refers back to the cultural norm for how men and women are 'supposed' to act. Whether this norm is right, wrong, necessary, or simplistic is an argument all on its own. But what I found interesting was that in early years, men are weaker than women. Maybe, socially, we have the roles reversed or biologically, men have to work harder to make their health equivalent to that of women.

Gender: The Weaker Sex

This article has a very different perspective on gender roles. The stereotype has always been that women are weaker than men. Being compared to a woman is considered insulting for a man, for example, they don't want to "throw like a girl". This article shows that being a woman is actually a benefit. Women's health was neglected in studies for so long that now it has become a priority in order to show that that is not the case anymore. This means that now men's health is not being studied as frequently as it once was. It has been known for a while that women live longer than men now. This article shows how medical studies and neglecting men's health may be a contributing factor to this.
Boys are known to mature more slowly than girls. I never really thought about the fact of women live longer relating to the fact that they mature faster. This article points out how men maturing more slowly, take more risks, and learn more slowly all attribute about to men dying sooner. I have always noticed how my guy friends have a different idea of fun than my girlfriends and I do. Boys like to play violent video games, play rough sports, and do more dangerous things to occupy themselves. Girls tend to enjoy more relaxed activities rather than roughing it up. Obviously this is a general idea, and I don't mean to say that all boys are risk takers and all girls are not.
This article also brings up the fact that men are told to suppress their emotions from an early age. This also contributes to their health problems because they are less likely to bring up a problem than women are. In my experience, most of the men I know are not as likely to ask for help as the women I know. Men are also more likely to get a serious disease or an infection than women. As a whole, I found this article to be very interesting. There were many key contributors mentioned to the fact that men have more undiagnosed health problems and that they live for less time than women.

The Weaker Sex

I found this article to be very interesting. When I hear "gender differences," my first thoughts are of the personality differences, the differences in how we approach things...not health differences. While I knew that men tend to live shorter lives than women, I didn't realize there were the issues of declining male births and increasing miscarriages.
I did find it interesting that there were so many statistics of men being at a disadvantage. The fact that after boys are born, they have an extremely high ratio of developmental disorders compared to girls. The facts that the article provided did seem a bit unconnected I felt - the facts were provided, but the author never found a way to link them together or link them as a male trait. The statement that "girls demonstrate insight and judgment earlier in adolescence than boys..." reminded me of something I had heard of before - doesn't that have something to do with brain development? I wish the article would've provided more of the whys and hows behind those statements, as I felt like that would've made things easier to rationalize.
I agree with the comments about males being more of risk takers than females. I think in basically every social group that I have been in, that has proven to be true. The girls are a bit more reserved and not wanting to do anything dangerous, whereas for the guys that is what makes it enjoyable.
Even with the neglect of research on male health, I did find the proposed research involving additional estrogen to be a bit out there. I find it hard to believe that too many men would be willing to take an estrogen supplement...if they even made it to the doctor at all.

The Weaker Sex

I found this article to be very interesting. I knew there were obvious differences in the genetics of males and females, and thus it makes sense that there would be differences in their immune systems and chemical balances in the brain. However, I never knew that males had a higher rate of miscarriages than females, or that males in their teens are more likely than females in their teens to commit suicide. After reading, I fully agree that these differences in health dangers of males and females must be brought to the forefront. Also, I think that part of the issue at hand is, as mentioned in the article, the fact that it if part of the social norm for males to suppress pain and emotions and "be a man." This suppression of natural reactions to stressors in our day to day lives is not healthy, especially since as we discussed previously, their stress levels are likely to be heightened, taking a toll on their mind and immune system.
As far as developmental differences, in watching my younger siblings grow up, two boys and one girl, I have been able to witness first hand the tendency for girls to develop faster. My little sister, who has a twin brother, learned to crawl, walk, and talk before her twin, even though they were raised in the same environment; thus ruling out the "nurture" portion of the nature versus nurture debate that may be brought up in this argument.

The Weaker Sex

Although the majority of this article deals with scientific research, I found myself most interested in what men had to say for themselves on the subject of depression. There is the overall consensus right now that women are more depressed than men and certainly, more women are diagnosed and treated for depression than men but this article points out the differences in gender behavior that could distort this statistic. Men and boys are generally expected to be tougher as all of us have seen in friends and family members but in this last weekend I have seen this firsthand.
A very close friend's parents passed away this last week and having been staying with the family for several days and now doing this reading, I can see how the gender differences are in effect. The family has four children: two boys and two girls. There is a girl and a boy over the age of 20 and in college and a boy and a girl still in high school. From what I have seen, the boys have been looked to as the ones to stay strong and not cry. The girls have cried openly and reached out for support, mostly support from their brothers, boyfriends or close male friends. I think this directly ties into the idea that men have as many or possibly more emotional problems but they are not expected or encouraged to show them, as the article states. Women are more able to express their need for help when in distress than men, however when the men are experiencing the same distress they are more likely to close off and handle it on their own.

Gender Differences and "The Weaker Sex"

I was really surprised by the contents of this article. Prior to reading this, I had no clue that male fetuses are the bigger percentage of miscarriages, that boys have a greater chance of having a learning disability, or that teenage boys are more likely to commit suicide than girls.
In my opinion, the subject of depression in males should be brought to the forefront. The stigma attached to male depression is a dangerous one. Gender should not matter when dealing with depression; if someone is sad enough to take their own life, they need attention. People close to me have suffered from depression, both male and female, and the article is completely correct in stating that guys tend to hide their feelings. When my brother was really upset and wanted to talk to me about it, he would approach me almost shamefully, as if it was grievous personal weakness that he felt sad or insecure about something. If at fourteen someone feels pressured by influences to feel bad about feeling bad, what are the potential consequences of that compartmentalization and inability to effectively communicate and cope with serious emotions? Society should take more steps to treat males with depression because ultimately, it's not a question of gender--it's a matter of giving a human being adequate medical treatment.

AnnaMarie Allen's Response to Gender Article

I thought this article was very interesting, but it left me wondering about a lot of things, like why males are miscarried more, why they have developmental disorders more, and why you would be less likely to have a male as you get older. I like to know the scientific reasons behind things. The article said there are more male than female embryos, which also leaves me wondering why more males are conceived, do sperm with the y chromosome have an advantage? I think it's interesting that more males are miscarried, because my grandma, my mom's mom had 11 children, but all girls. She had at least one miscarriage I know, and my mom said that the doctors thought that she couldn't have a boy for some reason. It seems like out of that many kids you would have at least one boy. On the other side, my dad's mom had four boys, and no girls. And on my dad's side, I have only two biological female cousins compared to eight male cousins, and my three brothers. I know that technically the chance of having a boy is 50%, I know how meiosis and fertilization works, but it leaves me wondering if your chance of having a boy or a girl is somehow genetic, like some males produce better x chromosome sperms, some produce better y chromosome sperm, some females are more likely to carry a male to birth. Just a thought.
I know that one reason males are more likely to get diseases is because they only have one x chromosome. This only accounts for sex-linked diseases, but there are a lot of those. It seems like with their active ,adventurous, risk-taking lifestyle they would be more susceptible to causing their bodies stress, and becoming more susceptible to disease and injury. Women are more likely to seek medical or psychological attention for their problems than men, and with our emotional mind set we are more able to handle our stress by using our relationships (with other women) to help ourselves cope.
Males may be the stronger sex physically, but females are more hardy and just as, if not more intelligent. And in many species of animals, it is the female who is stronger, bigger, and superior. I think it's funny when males act superior than women, when my guy friends make "get back in the kitchen jokes" to us girls, because in some species of animals, there are no males at all. And these animals aren't microscopic animals you wouldn't ever take notice of. There is an all-female species of lizard. There is a shark that gave birth to a baby without ever having sex, when this species of shark was known to be sexually reproducing. This could potentially happen in humans, a female could develop a mutation that allows her to have clones of herself as babies, like in the case of the shark and the species of lizards. Males, you are great and all, but we could get along without you.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Gender category.

Files & Articles is the previous category.

Goals is the next category.

This is a private blog. Please sign in