Recently in Marriage & Divorce Category

Marriage and Divorce

When talking with my mom, who has been happily married to my dad for 31 years, I discovered many reasons why married couples would be healthier than people who have been divorced or experienced a traumatic event in their relationship. For one thing, my mom said that she thinks that a happily married couple may be healthier because in each other they have a best friend. It is someone who they feel is always there for them. They can talk to each other about anything; good or bad. A married couple is happier and more content with life. They often will have a more positive outlook on life. When you have a positive attitude, you're more likely to make healthy life choices.
My mom told me that because she is happy with life, it leads her to want to eat healthy and exercise. Her happiness contributes to her healthy lifestyle and in return, her health in general. My mom and dad both exercise to stay fit, and they encourage each other to go to the gym and stay active. They motivate each other. This information seems to match with the Divorce, It Seems, Can Make You Ill, article. Being happily married leads to better health for multiple reasons, but I think that at the core of it is having a support system and being happy with life.
I believe that if you are extremely unhappy in a relationship, you should not torture one another. Ending the relationship is sometimes what needs to happen. I don't think that the health effects of a divorce are life-long. I believe that they may appear for a few years after the event, but I think that anyone can find peace in their life if they try hard enough.

Marriage & Blog issues resolved! I hope!

For future reference (even though I emailed this to you) here is the reading for our marriage topic.

17.parker-pope.divorcehealth.pdf

Also, I believe that our blog issues have been resolved. From here on out you should be able to post your entries here, and comment on each others' entries. Keep your fingers crossed for no more issues!

Thanks for your patience.

Welcome!

Hi Everyone! Welcome to the blog for our class! This is where we will share our responses to the articles we read, any questions we have or interesting things we come across out in the world that are relevant to our ongoing discussion. You'll also be able to find the articles for class on this blog (let us know if you have any trouble downloading them!) Remember that this is a place where we need to respect each other's ideas and feel free to be open with each other. And don't forget to comment!

To create your own blog post:

1) go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/uthink/ and login with your UMN x500 and password (login in upper right corner).

2) Click on the downward arrow next to "System Overview" to find the blog for this class. For most of you, it will be the only blog you have in your system (this system allows you to be part of multiple blogs here at the U).

3) Once in the system for OUR blog, click the downward arrow next to the word "create" and select "entry"

4) Write your entry! Don't forget that you can add in links, photos, videos, and files that you want to share. And don't forget to tag your entry with the topic that it's most relevant to.

5) Click the blue "Save" button.

Feel free to email Maryhope (howl0029@umn.edu) if you encounter any problems or have any questions.

Happy blogging!

Course Syllabus here:
syllabus_freshsem_2011 revised.doc

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Marriage & Divorce category.

Grief is the previous category.

Relationships & Eating is the next category.

This is a private blog. Please sign in