Creating podcast with GarageBand

I just listened to a wonderful podcast by Tim Wilson on podcasting. This really inspired me to try out creating a pocast using GarageBand on my Mac. I'm one of those people who prefers to try out doing techie things without reading the manual, so I was able to create this without any directions. The only really tricky part was converting the file into mp3 format. When I saved the audio recording in Garageband, it created it in .m4a format (whatever that is!). To convert it to mp3 I had to open it in iTunes and do it there (that time I did resort to reading the directions, using the iTunes help menu, which directed me to click on the advanced tab under the preferences menu -- and then it was easy). I then uploaded my creation here by clicking on "upload file" and inserting the URL of the file so that viewers can download and listen to it. Enjoy! Download file

I was so excited that this first creation worked, that I tried again to make sure it wasn't beginner's luck -- and it wasn't -- so I am really off and running on this podcast adventure:) Here's my second bad podcast. Thanks to the choir from St. Mary's School, Johannesburg South Africa for the sound clip that I inserted. Download file

To listen to Wilson's inspiring talk that gives a really easy to follow overview of podcasting, go to Podcast Palooza by Tim Wilson at FETC 2006

Podcasting resource in Wikipedia

I keep hunting for useful resources on podcasting. Here are some of my latest finds:
* Wikipedia entry on podcasting at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting
* Bruce Reeves: Casting Basics - feed://blog.lib.umn.edu/breeves/Casting/atom.xml

I'm getting the idea.. I think! So here's what I've learned so far

Well, my evening of trying to figure out this new MoveableType blog format and trying to upload a podcast is turning out to be quite successful! So far, here's what I have learned (this is as much to remind myself as to help anyone else who is bumbling along like me and trying to learn all of this stuff!). Please note that I am not at all "techie" -- so this is written for non-techies like me. I am a Mac user, but I think the directions are probably similar for Windows users.

Continue reading "I'm getting the idea.. I think! So here's what I've learned so far" »

Sample mp3 - practice uploading - it works!

Download file
Don't bother to download this file -- I just uploaded it to see if it works (It is just a very short clip from an interview with me by a colleague, and is cut off before the interview gets going). But the good news is that I think this works! Thanks to Shane for his help in commenting on my earlier entry asking for advice on this.

Help on podcasting from my blog?

OK -- I'm still lost. Is anyone out there, by chance, who has done this (uploading a postcast using uThink)? I'd welcome any tips on how to do this! I have an mp3 file ready to upload, and was told it was a simple process of going into my blog and in one click I could have the file uploaded. But this I think presumes that I know what to click! I did try seleccting "upload file" under the posting category, got as far as locating the mp3, but when I clicked on the upload button nothing happened... hmm.

Learning about podcasting

I'm just playing around with my blog. Since I last blogged there seem to have been a number of changes to how the blog is set up etc, and I now have no idea what I am doing! I want to learn how to podcast, and I heard that it was easy to do in uThink -- but I guess imnotThinkingVeryWell!! This doesn't seem easy or obvious to me at this point, but I'll continue to explore what all these buttons do