Coronary Heart Disease-Hannah Weiger

Most people do not know that coronary heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States. It accounts for one in every two and half deaths each year. This disease develops when cholesterol collects on the walls of the arteries. This narrows and blocks the coronary arteries, known as atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is accompanied by an inflammatory response in the arteries and can lead to a heart attack.
Photobucket
Stress can sometimes be one of the factors leading to this disease. Certain stress hormones lead to disruption of heart rhythm and then to heart death. However, the correlational arrow can be reversed. People with CHD are often have poor diets and lack exercise which increase the likelihood of everyday stressors. So CHD may be the cause of the stressors these people experience on a day to day basis. Others whoa are most at risk tend to be those with type A personality. These people are hard drive, competitive and impatient. The risks for CHD also increase in males over 50 who smoke, have high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
Photobucket
Hearing this worries me, because my dad is definitely a type A person. He also chews tobacco and has high blood pressure. I guess the only ways to reduce the chances are helping hime to try and eat healthier, exercise more, quit chewing tobacco and encourage him to monitor his heart.

I believe I will remember this well because it was new, shocking information to me and I will now think twice about how to relieve my stress and that of my friends and family members to help them prevent the disease.