When you look in the mirror, what do you see?

A concept that sparked my interest was the debate on Self Esteem. Some say that happiness and a high-self esteem have a very slight correlation to one another, meaning that happiness or even grades do not suffer as a result of having a low self-esteem. On the other hand, many forms of anger and aggression are linked to low-self esteem, and many also state that having a low self-esteem makes it hard to be outgoing and happy. There may be some truth to both sides, but I strongly believe that the topic of self-esteem is a major variable in the life of a college student. I think this is one of the most important aspects of psychology that determine how outgoing and happy a person is. In my life, during unhappy times, whether it be a breakup or a bad grade, my self-esteem is lowered and as a result I am unhappy. With a low self-esteem during my middle school years I found it very hard to make friends and be outgoing. As I've grown it makes me realize what important role self-esteem plays in a persons life, as well as the steps necessary to maintain a high self-esteem. Every college student has had a problem with self-esteem at one point or another, whether it is physically or socially related. I would really like to know how various people define self-esteem across campus, and to hear how it affects everyone in their past or their present. It would be interesting to find out more about whether or not people think self-esteem and overall happiness are related. I say this because college is a time of stress and obstacles, and I believe self-esteem plays a tremendous role in how smooth or bumpy the ride will be.

By Connor Chapman

self-esteem-quotes.jpg