Pseudoscientific Marketing Strategy

images-3.jpeg

For the past couple of years, I have always been proud of my knowledge. I thought that I knew many things because I always updated new information in my free time. Everything had seemed to be good until the day I started studying Psychology. After reading the first three chapters of the course, I was shocked by the contents; because according to the book, a great part of my knowledge was completely wrong. There were a lot of new concepts that surprised me, but the one, which made me think the most, was "pseudoscience".

images.jpeg

Therefore, if I have to choose a conception that I would still remember five years from now, I would pick "pseudoscience" without hesitation. The reason of my selection is that pseudoscience appears everywhere in our life, and people easily fall prey to it. Furthermore, in chapter 13 of the textbook, I learned one more aspect of pseudoscience, which was related to my major, Marketing.

images-1.jpeg

Before reading this chapter, I knew that firms often take advantage of pseudoscience to persuade consumers to buy their products. The most common ones that you would see on the Internet would be the advertisements about sex and money. For examples, "click here for the better sexual performance" or "would you like to earn $7,000 every month right at your room". However, the only thing I knew about these advertisements was that they were all pseudoscience, I did not truly understand about them until I studied the section of pseudoscientific tactics from chapter 13. There are seven tactics; the first one is "creation of a phantom goal" that talks about methods to achieve unrealistic objectives. The next three tactics are "vivid testimonials", "manufacturing source credibility" and "consensus heuristic", which usually provide personal experiences as well as the sources that people tend to believe in. In addition, there are other tactics, such as "the natural commonplace" and "the goddess-within commonplace" that discuss about people belief. Many people always think natural products are good, but it is not true. Take poisonous mushrooms, for instance. Moreover, a huge number of people strongly believe in hidden mystical sides without any valid evidences. The last tactic was "scarcity heuristic", which is about people reactions. People often think of something that is rare must be very valuable, thus these ads will always have an additional line telling customers to be fast because the products are going to sell out soon.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that I would still memorize the concept of "pseudoscience" in the next five years, since it is closely related to my major and my future job. Moreover, pseudoscience happens frequently in real life, and I will have to face it everyday. The best thing, after studying about it, is I cannot be deceived easily because I now can recognize many forms of pseudoscience.

Thuc Huynh