Remembering the Big 5

One aspect of psychology which I think I will carry with me and use for the rest of my life is the Big Five Personality profile. When I learned the concept that a person's personality is based on the amount of each of the big five personality traits, it changed the way I perceive the personalities of myself and others. The five personality dimensions are openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism. I thought it was so interesting that by exploring which characteristics a person possesses you can better understand why they act the way they do. In my future jobs I will be inclined to learn and understand the dimensions of the big five in which my colleagues possess. This understanding would be very valuable because once you better understand the dimensions someone holds you are able to better interact with the person and understand them better.
The Big 5 personality profile will have a lasting influence on me because it is apparent and can be applied all around the world we live in. As we talked about in lecture you can see it in cartoons such as the Simpsons. It can also be seen and applied in celebrities, athletes, and people you see every day.

Ben Sicoli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm2vafSHf_U