Chapter 9 IQ test storm

images.jpg
The chapter 9 is talking about intelligence and IQ testing which is divided into 5 small topics. At first, the book gives us the definition and then talks about intelligence testing, external factors' and group influence on IQ and other dimensions. (Chapter 9 Page 316)

It struck me when I get to know that the simple word intelligence has so many different definitions and comprehensions according to different psychologists. The concept becomes more and more accurate and complete after the hypothesis and research raised by psychologists in different generations. When I saw the new words fluid intelligence and crystallized intelligence, I am so excited because they are quite new to me. Then, I realized that the friends around me who are easier to learn new knowledge and learn faster are better in fluid intelligence. On the contrary, the friends who can remember words and history dynasty quicker are good in crystalized intelligence. The distinction of two concepts helps me understand my friends and myself better.
imagesCA3X5MGI.jpguntitled.bmp

The content attracts me the most is the way to calculate IQ. To be honest, I am really curious about my IQ and did some so-called authoritative tests before. But when I was doing the test, I felt something might be wrong although I always got high scores at end. Besides, I think there are a lot of knowledge and statistics in calculating IQ. According to the book, the way to calculate IQ for children and adult are different. Because once we are 16, our performance on IQ test items doesn't increase too much. (Page 327, 3rd paragraph) Besides, in order to compare our IQ to others, the system of IQ testing needs a set of dorms. That is what Terman contributed to us. As a matter of fact, nowadays, IQ testing has been misused which cause big damage to the society. They are used in business rather than helping schoolchildren who need special help. (Page 327)

Most of the time, people related IQ with the level of smartness. They always think if the person is smart or always got A at school, it must be the reason of the high IQ. However, IQ is mostly shows the function of the brain, and it also contains many different aspect. We can't just directly connect the IQ with the smartness, it is not that easy.

I find that I am unsure of what to really think about IQ because although I've never taken a test personally, I have seen some example questions and it seems to have too many variables...like for instance if Einstein were born in the middle of nowhere with no language and no civilization or means of learning, or say there was a more extreme example in which they were literally put into a pure white room and not allowed to observe anything. How could you test such a thing? I agree that we don't usually find situations like that, but people have varying levels of opportunities to learn and as pointed out with grades how it depends on hardwork. What if somebody is genuinely smart, but never applies themself? I think that they need to form a better way of determining intelligence. Perhaps introducing scenarios unfamiliar to them and figure out how well they learn what they're being exposed to or something similar, but multiple choice testing hardly seems to be accurate enough for my comfortability, especially when you don't know how to determine how much of the knowledge they've been exposed to.

I thought this was an interesting topic as well. It is crazy to see how some people can soak up information and remember it very easily compared to those who can't. It sounds difficult to calculate IQ.