The Mozart Effect

Chapter 10 primarily covers all areas of human development-whether this be physical and motor development, development of the mind, or social and moral development. We as humans go through many significant changes throughout our lifetime; we learn to embrace the environment around us and in our early years we rapidly acquire new information. Some of these things will stick with us until the day that we die.
One thing that I found interesting in Chapter 10 was the section about "The Mozart Effect, Baby Einstein, and Creating Superbabies." I have heard about this new fad of surrounding one's newborn with Mozart piano sonatas and how it will boost the child's intelligence, and I always thought that these studies held true. I mean, it seems right, doesn't it? That's why I was surprised to discover that this study had some flaws. First of all, this experiment was only conducted on college students. The students listened to Mozart for ten minutes, and after they showed a "significant improvement on a spatial reasoning task compared with a group of students who listened to a relaxation tape." But the finding didn't say anything about enhancement of intelligence in the long run. It applied to a task given almost immediately after listening to the music. This begs the question though... Will parents keep surrounding their newborns with Mozart, despite the negative findings?

I wouldn't call this negative findings though. I may be wrong, but there are many factors to be contributed to any given thing and so with a situation such as exposure, I'd say more exposure is better because especially at the younger age, kids and babies want to learn everything and anything which is why they learn so rapidly, they have all this empty space that they want to fill with everything they can get their hands on, so even if it doesn't turn them into the next Mozart, I'd still say that it's good to have the extra stimulus in the area because who knows what they may take interest in and expand upon.

I think regardless, some people will continue to do this with their kids. Even if the evidence doesn't exactly support what has been initially reported, some people will still feel that "it can't hurt". Before this class, I had heard many times that listening to classical music helps increase intelligence, but thanks to Psych 1001, now I know this to be false.