Diminishing Memories

alzheimer's.jpgAlzheimer's disease accounts for 50 to 60 percent of people with dementia and is the leading cause of senility (Psychology from inquiry to Understanding; p. 268). This is a disease that affects primarily older people, over the age of 65. As of now there is no evidence that suggests the precise cause of Alzheimer's disease. But there has been a correlation in patients with Alzheimer's disease and an abundance of senile plaques and neurofibrillary tangles. This correlation does not mean that this is what is the cause of Alzheimer's disease. A primary way to treat Alzheimer's is drugs that boost the amount of acetylcholine in the brain.

It is very tough seeing someone go through Alzheimer's. I know this because my Grandma currently has Alzheimer's disease. It is not an instantaneous event where one day they remember things then the next day they don't, but instead their memory slowly begins to fade starting with their most recent memories and then working back to their earlier memories. They also become distant because it is very hard for them to follow conversations.

There are multiple ways to reduce the risk of getting Alzheimer's. All of the ways to the risk of Alzheimer's are for the most part obvious and include, healthy diet, exercise, reducing tobacco and alcohol use and engaging in intellectual activities. Hopefully someday there will be a cure to Alzheimer's but for now all you have to do is live a healthy lifestyle, that shouldn't be too hard with all the gyms around nowadays.

Great job drawing from the text!
I have always found the existence of Alzheimer's both fascinating and terrifying all at once. My grandma also has Alzheimer's, and it is very hard to watch. I cannot believe that the mind can completely deteriorate like that!
Very sad.

Alzheimer's is sometimes portrayed poorly in the media and I think that is where people get the idea of the person losing the memory instantly. It amazes me that the brain can be changing all the time. First, the difference of a childs brain to an adults and then to a person facing dementia or just aging. The brain is the most maliable part of our body in my opinion and weirdly enough the most important at the same time.

Alzheimer's is a very difficult situation to deal with because you never know how much memory that person is going to lose from day to day. My grandma also had Alzheimer's and it was very difficult to watch her go through the deterioration of her memory. Some days it seemed like she recognized us more than others, but nonetheless it was getting harder and more frustrating for her to remember us. I've always been interested in what the cause is and if there will ever be a cure. The best we can do for now is lead a healthy lifestyle and enjoy the moments and memories we have now.

I know from experience how difficult it is to deal with someone with Alzheimer's and it's an experience that kills you inside, to see a relative move farther and farther away mentally. The preventative measures you mentioned definitely will help, but I don't believe there is a very strong correlation. My relative lived a healthy life style, never used tobacco, and frequently read the papers and did crossword puzzles. Yet, she still has the disease. It's unfortunate, but I just hope we can find a cure soon to prevent this horrible condition.

Alzheimers is just such a horrible disease for someone to become diagnosed with. I have an experience hand in hand with the disease and was very interested in the results I came to realize. My friends grandfather was diagnosed with the disease and we went over to his house one day to help him move furniture around. Even though his own grandpa merely recognized him, he still showed great affection that we were there helping him move this furniture. He would often stop us in between trips to and from the garage and tell us one of his favorite jokes which would make you smile. I hope there is some cure for this disease in the future

This was a good topic to choose to talk about. Many people know someone who has Alzheimers. Many of my family members have had it. The scary thing about Alzheimers is that it is hard to know when it starts. You never know if a person is simply having normal memory problems like forgetting where they put their glasses, or if it is more serious and needs to be treated. I just hope that they can find a cure soon because I have watched to many family members go through it.

In accordance with the comments above, I too have been affected by Alzheimer's, with my grandfather suffering severely. As you said, it is a gradual process. One day he simply forgets that he came to my volleyball game earlier in the week, the next he forgets that I go to the U, and finally he has forgotten my name. It's very sad and frustrating to live with. You said that living a exercising is a way to prevent this disease. I agree, but am starting to wonder if certain contact sports would counteract this. For instance, I played 3 sports in high school and have gotten two concussions. I wonder if those concussions will come back to haunt me in the future.

Speaking from personal experience, Alzheimer's is a horrible disease to watch someone suffer through. My grandma has been battling this condition for a while now and has recently been placed in a nursing home in order to better help her, as her condition has progressed to a point where my grandpa is no longer able to adequately care for him. In fact, it became so hard for my grandpa to care for my grandma that he started becoming highly frustrated (as anyone would when their wife of over 50 years no longer knows who they are). This condition is not only terribly heartbreaking, but it also can negatively affect the health of others watching someone battle this condition. Alzheimer's is quite stressful for caretakers and can actually lead to depression or other psychology problems for the caretakers. Hopefully scientific research (both psychological and medical) can discover a cure for this condition.

I as well wrote my blog on Alzheimer's. I must say it is a very scary disease, seeing that it effects over 17 million people world wide and more than 50% of people over age 85 have some variation of the disease. Also the hardest part of the disease is knowing that their is no true cure to it at the moment and you simply have to watch as your loved ones slowly forget who you are.

I really enjoyed reading your post on Alzheimer's. I cant imagine having a family member suffer from this. It sounds like it would be both frustrating, and sad. It is crazy to think that 50-60% of people with dementia have-more specifically- Alzheimer's. Everything that I do and say every second is based on what I know from past experience. It would be so terrible to slowly lose past experiences that make you who you are. As people with Alzheimer's age their condition usually gets worse, and they lose more memories, also losing more and more of who they are. Such a sad condition, thanks for sharing.

My grandfather has also been suffering from Alzheimer's for years. It is hard to see his memory of things diminish over time, as he doesn't even know his son's(my dad) name at this point. I have noticed that he can still remember some things, but just lacks the vocabulary to explain his feelings and thoughts.

Okay, now I understand why my grandma is obsessed with crossword puzzles. She is just stimulating her brain to prevent this disease. It is a terrible thing to see someone go through.