Disney's Incorrect Slogan

Disney - Where Dreams Come True.jpg

As children, we're inundated with Walt Disney's animated movies that usually end happily with the main character's "dreams coming true." However, our unconscious dreams are more likely to make us hope they don't occur than to wish upon a star that they do.

According to G.W. Domhoff's research on dream themes, of the top ten types of dreams, eight result in misfortune. The list includes being chased, late, falling, losing valuable possessions, being naked, and injury or illness. This study coincides greatly with the results of my own dreams, as I often wake up saying, "Well, I'm sure glad that wasn't real," or even worse, I have woken up in tears.

Unfortunately, we can't control our night-time dreams, but we can consciously dream of a Disney Prince- or Princess-like future. Our ambitions to become a doctor or fashion designer should be pursued, as our goals provide us with great motivation to do what we love. What these dreams have in contrast to our undesirable sleep-provoked ones are our state of consciousness. Therefore, Walt Disney, who has taught us many serious lessons such as the importance of inner beauty and following our hearts, may want to readjust his popular slogan to say, "Where Conscious Dreams Come True."

I like your concluding sentence about conscious dreams. Dreaming is a very interesting topic to explore. Although scientists still haven't figured why we have dreams, what discoveries have been found are extremely thought-provoking. Regardless of what my dreams do consist of, I wish I had more lucid dreams. I can't recall the last time I was able to know I was dreaming. I think lucid dreaming may factor into, along with REM stages, how well we remember our dreams because I rarely remember mine. So as far as this entry concerns the dreams Walt Disney refers to are the only dreams I've come to know.

I find your statement about dreams rather appealing. I differ slightly with how we should look at dreams. No matter what the dream is good, bad, the ugly or terrifying it means something. The ideas that Disney's movies puts into the minds of children and adults, is a fairytale that invokes happiness and a future. Just because it may not be ever happen does not mean that we should remove ourselves from watching such movies. As humans we need something to remove our everyday minds of the world that is full of war and pain and be allowed to dream a little bit even if it is unrealistic. Yes some dreams can be horrifying but others can be wonderful, I believe it depends on the person at hand, so some could dream happy fairytales in the unconscious state more than you realize.

I really like your topic of dream´╝î especially when it has something to do with disney, it becomes more attractive. Although the fairytales are fictitious, it doesn't mean that we ought to stop watching those moives and stop dreaming about. As a matter of fact, sometimes our dreams in the unconscious state do come true in reality! That means our dreams have some relationships with the thing happened in daily life.

The way you describe looking at dreams in a different view is an interesting concept. It's interesting how you mention that most of unconscious dreams are one's which we would rather avoid. From personal experience the dreams which I remember are usually positive one's which are often related to my goals in life. However I also realize that I do not remember all dreams so this can skew my perception. Finally, renaming the Disney slogan to "where conscious dreams come true" is a funny way of thinking about the difference between conscious and unconscious dreams.

You made an amazing contrast between conscious dreams and sleeping dreams. We intertwine the two every day, but you are right they are two completely different things. Most of my dreams, I agree, I would never want to happen. I think the way you presented your argument was creative and entertaining. I personally love Disney, so your picture caught my eye. And I agree with you and the comments above that renaming the slogan would be more accurate description. At the same time, I really don't think Disney is where your dreams come true. Maybe change the saying that people always hear "Follow Your Dreams" to "Follow your conscious dreams."

I thought this was a real interesting topic and makes you think. I guess I agree that we never want what our actual dreams are. What we actually want is what we dream of right before we go to sleep. Such as wishing you were a millionaire, or in this case a Disney Princess. So, i thought it was very cool to see this blog commenting on Walt-Disneys false slogan.

That's a really interesting point that you make. However, I doubt Disney will be changing their slogan. That being said, I think another question one must ask themselves is why we dream so negatively? Also, what do these negative dreams say about us as people?

Dream is really a miracle thing, when we slept, we can't control our dream, we can't dream the things we want, also we can't don't dream the thing we don't want to dream. Also when we had some dreams, we often can't remember what we dream at night. That are all caused by our brain activity. Also sometimes, when we think about one thing many times, we can dream it at night. So I am really curious can we really control out dream? If not, how can we explain the dreaming the things we think very often during the day?

I think dreaming is such a crazy concept. The thought that we are almost imagining an entire world is unbelievable. There is much truth to the statement that most of dreams, dreamt are misfortunate. I do feel though that there has to be some way to control dreams, they can't all just be random thoughts.

I never thought too much about Disney's slogan "Where Dreams Come True." From personal experience, I certainly wouldn't want most of my dreams to come true, seeing as I almost die in a majority of my dreams. It's interesting though to think about the different kinds of 'dreaming' a person can be talking about. I think changing his slogan to 'daydreams' instead of just 'dreams' might be more accurate. It's amazing, though, to think that out of our top ten types dreams, eight of them aren't even good dreams that we enjoy. Most people think of dreams as being good, but our good dreams are usually the ones during the day when we have conscious control over what we're thinking about. You make a good point and I'm certainly glad that my actual dreams don't come true.

Maybe I'm just an outlier to the fact of dreaming, but the majority of my dreams are rather enjoyable and that's what keeps me in bed because I want to go back to whatever the dream may be, which is usually something rather realistic and low-key, such as a nice day out at a park with somebody I care about, etc. Also, I've found that I can control most of my dreams and that is actually something highlighted in the book where becoming aware of one's dreams will actually give you more of an ability to control such dreams and make them what you'd like.

Dreaming is one of the most interesting topics in the world because of the irrational and crazy thoughts, which are arisen throughout the night. So many times I wake up to thinking what I just dreamt was reality and even occasionally carry that belief on for the start of my day. On the topic of their slogan, the it would be unreasonable to change it because Disney is primarily thought of for kids and they would not understand the conscious concept most likely. Very interesting blog!

I think it's very interesting that most unconscious dreams are negative and could be considered nightmares. I would be very interested in finding out why that is. Why do we dream of negative events that scare us? I wonder if there is some sort of biological reason or need for us to dream negative dreams or if it is a psychological reason.