Can a Pai ban be reached in different cultures?

In a time where the Chinese economy is booming and there are more and more multinational businesses with both Western and Chinese management, there needs to be an understanding of decision making processes of both cultures. In the Western culture, they have a value of making quick decisions. This goes against the more analytical process the Chinese take. The Chinese focus on the complexity of an issue. They will take their time to review every angle of the problem and go back to the beginning to make sure every step was looked at. In addition, their collectivist outlook requires them to have a consensus before moving forward. Their slow and steady approach is looked as inefficient to the Western culture who takes a individualistic approach. Chinese see this approach as overly aggressive and dangerous. They think that a safer decision or no decision is better than forcing a decision on someone.
chinese.jpg
One interesting tactic to solve these conflicts is a Jue ce hui: a type of meeting in China that indicates that a decision must be reached. This meeting makes sure there is a pai ban, a final decision, either by consensus or a voted leader. This is very good information to hold on to for the future. All of this information is eye-opening, because I am a typical Western thinker, a very quick decision maker. I believe that action is what drives results and that if there is not decisions being made then a group is failing. I can use this information that I have acquired in my steps to run my own company someday. In addition to information on China, I would like to know other ways decisions are made in different countries like the UK.

We live in probably one of the speediest countries out there. Our ability to make quick decisions has resulted in negative things our country has gone through. I believe that cultural influences are a huge part in how our government operates and how we as citizens make decisions. I agree that the way America makes quick decisions can be dangerous. We should remember that it is often better to make sure something is right even if it requires more time than making rash decisions just because it's faster. It is good for us to work with countries like China because it helps us slow down and take more into account.

I would disagree with you on the topic of that this type of "Chinese" thinking is always this way and always better. I would argue that if it truly was, how can China pollute 4 times as much carbon dioxide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions) as the US and say that it looks at every aspect of the issue? How is dumping toxic waste into river and seas looking at every aspect? I think forcing a decision at the end of every meeting can be faulty as that is snap decision making at its finest. What happens if there is not enough information at the time so they make the wrong decision? I would suggest taking the "Chinese" approach and look at all aspects of decision making and not come to the concrete decision that one is better every time than the other.

Decision making to me is sort of like a game of chess. One must look at every angle and every possible outcome. This may take no time at all or all the time in the world. Ultimately, a move is made, but the outcome of the game won't come until the end. Likewise with decision making, one must take into account all details and possible outcomes, much like how the Chinese approach a problem. Once a move is made, one will either be confident in their move or not. I suppose decision making in most countries is similar to one another's, but the amount of time spent looking at an issue and making a decision may the the differentiating factor.