"Elvis" in animals------Whale!

220px-Elvispresleydebutalbum.jpg
Everyone remember this great man right? Yeah, he is Elvis Presley! The superstar singer in the past. Everyone attracted by his songs and his voice. Why we like elvis, because we were affected by him through his songs. This is a kind of different way to communicate with others. Human have many different way to communicate, so do animals! Whales used to be think as the Elvis in the animals, cause whales can sing beautiful songs, this is called whale songs.
cover.gif
Whale sounds are the sounds made by whales and which are used for different kinds of communication. Mostly, the whales use the beautiful sounds for the sexual selection. Still have some whales use the sounds to detect the size and nature of objects by using echolocation. And the whale doesn't have a good sense of smell like sharks, it also has the poor visibility, so they can only use the sound to detect what is around them. For the whale, the "whale song" is not only for communication, but also will help them to live and survive in the water. But you may ask, is it a kind of language? Since it can be a way to do the sexual selection. With the research, I found out the results shows that the whale song still constitutes an indication of the existence of grammar within the songs, which means it can be think as a language since it has some of the factor of the language. But it is still a indeterminate problems waiting for us to tell.

This is a great comparison of music to "whale song." It is fascinating to learn that "whales song" have uses other than mating. It makes me think about how our music is used in different ways. We use it to express our many feelings and to make a statements. We have angry music, relxing music, music we sing to our loved ones, music we sing when we are upset about a breakup and etc. A lot of students may say that music is way that "helps them to live." In a none dramatic sense. Music is a huge part of our culture now, thanks to the late Elvis Presley.

I like the relationship to Elvis made in the article haha. I never knew that whales used their "songs" for purposes other than mating. I think it is cool to read about how they use it for sizing up objects.

I love the connection that you made between and Elvis and these whale songs. I would love to hear some of the sounds they make, I think it would make for a very interesting study. I think it is so crazy that a whale uses these sounds primarily for mating. I wonder based off of a certain sound if the whale knows what the female looks like? That would be something else. I wouldn't doubt it if there are many different kinds of ways that animals communicate with each other that we have yet to find out!

This is so interesting, My father like Elvis very much.It can be seen singing from the people around you, sound appealing for some people, some people speak singing is easy to run away. In addition to the inherent voice, how it happened can test nurture change. Before heard the sound of whales well on the fetus.Ever see the prenatal care of pregnant women receiving a whale in an aquarium.Now not remember is a whale or dolphin, but I think it was the whales, have not heard the sound of dolphins.

It is interesting that you referenced Elvis in this context! Very unique idea. I never knew that whales mated through the sounds of echolocation. I guess when you think about the songs that Elvis produced, every woman in the country was in love with him. Animals are no different in that they have a great sense of communication. It is intriguing that whales are somewhat similar to humans in that sense though.

I remember learning at some point in my life that humpback whales were known for their singing and I never thought it was a form of language. It makes sense that they use it to communicate rather for the joy of music like Elvis did. To my knowledge, I don't think that any other form of marine life uses their vocal cords to communicate, making whales quite unique in their form of communication.

Not to state the obvious, whales and Elvis are different in several key ways. Elvis (most likely) played his songs for reasons other than sexual selection, and was most certainly not trying to figure out the size of his enemies. While Elvis' grammar was not the best ("you AINT NOTHIN but a hound dog"), he definitely sang in the English language, while whales don't use grammar and therefore don't speak a language.

Based off the information found in our psychology text, 'language' is defined as a "largely arbitrary system of communication that combines symbols ... in rule-based ways to create meaning." I'm going to take yanxx247 for her word when she says she found information which "shows that the whale song still constitutes an indication of the existence of grammar within the songs" even though this information/research is not presented to us. If this research does in fact exist, then I would have to agree in that whale songs are to be considered a language. If no type of syntax, rules, or variance exists in whale songs, then I would tend to not consider them to be a language.

I definitely think that whale songs are at the very least a form of communication that is very effective. I do think it would be interesting to look further into it, however, to see what exactly makes them up and if there is a real "rhyme or reason" to the tones as there is in language.

I thinks it is really cool how different animals adapt to their features so they can communicate with each other. I like the Elvis connection as well.