Scientific Thinking Principles

The one thing that I think I will remember from psychology five years from now are the six scientific thinking principles. The six scientific thinking principles are ruling out rival hypotheses, correlation vs. causation, falsifiability, replicability, extraordinary claims, and Occam's razor. The concept of these six principles has been reiterated throughout the whole textbook so I have become very familiar. They are basically glued into my mind at this point. These principles go beyond psychology and I think that these things can apply to many different situations in life.

For example, somebody might make a comment saying "the beach is packed because it is sunny," which relates to the correlation vs. causation principle because one thing may not cause the other. It also could relate to ruling out rival hypotheses because an alternate explanation could be because it's on a weekend and less people have to work.
stock-photo-crowded-beach-in-summer-9844120.jpg
Another example is in court cases. The persecutor might make a claim that the defendant is guilty. In this situation they would have to see if the evidence is as strong as the claim made by the persecutor. This relates to the extraordinary claims principle.
court-room.png
With that said, I think I will remember the scientific thinking principles because they relate to many situations in everyday life.

I completely agree with you! These principles are something I seriously think about on a constant basis. I have caught myself making comments about correlation vs. causation. I notice it more and more each day. In addition, I have been able to statements made by others in newspapers claiming different things. I can now question them and get a better insight if they are a reliable source if the evidence they are showing can be replicated, falsified, or if there is a more simple answer.

These principles have become glued into my head as well. I do not think that I will be forgetting them for a long time to come. I constantly am catching myself questioning research and correlation studies using these principles.

Unfortunately i also agree! The only reason i say unfortunately is because it used to be so easy to take information as true and unbiased. Ignorance is definitely bliss because now i find i am constantly bringing up the correlation versus causation fallacy, and when looking at a poll i immediately question the sample size and validity of the information. I'm sure not knowing had its perks but now it's nice to know that it would be more difficult to get the wool pulled over my eyes.

I wrote about the same thing and I as well think if there is one thing I will definitely remember it is these 6 principles. It is a good thing too because in any job I believe correlation vs. causation will come into effect and help to make business decisions.