Infant reflexes: impressive or not?

Chapter 10 has a section on Infant Motor Development, and the section on their reflexes particularly intrigued me. This part proved interesting because my cousin had twins during the last week of January, so I have spent the past two months observing their growth and development.

10757654-baby-with-bottle.jpg
The book talks about their sucking and rooting reflexes. Both of these serve one extraordinarily important purpose: eating. The sucking reflex is the automatic response to oral stimulation. Meaning that if you put something, such as a bottle or pacifier, into an infant's mouth they will begin sucking. This is the more well known of the two reflexes, most people would probably tell you that they knew that. The rooting reflex, however, is much less well known. This reflex means that if you stroke an infant's cheek they will automatically turn their head and search for a bottle to suck.

The rooting reflex has taken affect in my life, but until I had to pacify a crying newborn I had no idea what it was. My cousin uses the rooting technique on a daily basis when trying to figure out the reason for her newborn's crying. The result is almost instantaneous from both of the twins; their heads turn very quickly in search of the food source.

The development of infants is fascinating, and I would venture to say that even as a newborn their reflexes are extremely impressive. The babies know what they want, and their reflexes are fine tuned to get it.

This is a very interesting subject in which it does make a lot of sense now that it is explained above. I find that it is so crazy how both the oral stimulation and the rooting reflex work with infants. It now makes so much sense how the correlation between pacifier and the bottle. They both include the sucking reflex which is what the infant wants. I also find it crazy how you can figure out if the baby is hungry or not by simply using the rooting technique.

This is quite interesting to learn about the 2 different reflexes that babies have at a very young age. It is crazy to think that they don't even need to learn these in a sense, they just know! The sucking reflex is something that most mothers or caretakers know that baby's have but aren't aware that it is an actually reflex that the baby uses to survive. I also find the rooting reflex interesting because I would think when you stroked a baby's cheek there reflex would be to try and grasp you so you would pick them up and hold them.

wow,It is so interesting, I love baby. I found a very interesting thing if you want to test if the baby is hungry you can put you figure beside her mouse, if she looks like has a sucking reflex maybe she is hungry. Sometimes you touch the baby they will have a lot of different reactions.Because the baby was born unable to speak, so we can only test to observe some of his action to suspect that her feelings.

These are very interesting reflexes that babies have. It even causes one to think about what we learned in Chapter 3. We know that human brains are particularly different from animal brains in that animals seemed to be more pre-programmed than humans. But these two reflexes seem to me like they are pre-programmed in order for babies to survive. So I wonder what the relationship between a babies brain and animals are. Are we similar at birth and then develop to be more different?

I had never heard of the rooting reflex before, and it seems a little strange. Do all parents know this trick already? I know this will be something I'll remember as an adult. Also, at what age does the baby grow out of this reflex and learn to find their own food.

I agree with you in saying that baby reflexes are impressive. I also watched a segment on the Oprah show a while ago about babies and how the beginning sound of their cry means something. The study was performed over and over again and I found it fascinating.

I also have witnessed these reflexes first hand due to a large family that has many younger cousins. I became aware of these responses after learning them in a class and I find it amazing that infants are able to perform these reflexes so soon. This definitely may provide some additionally evidence for the nature vs. nurture argument. This shows that we are genetically programmed with various behaviors and reflexes that allow us to live for some period of time until we are able to imitate behaviors. I would be interested to find out if there are any additional reflexes that we are born with because it is amazing that we don’t have to learn some reflexes.

I have been around babies for just about my entire life, and I am astonished that I had no idea about this "rooting reflex!" As weird as this sounds, I'm actually really excited to be around a younger baby again to try it out. The inborn instincts of humans, and every animal for that matter, is something that fascinates me and always will.

Learning about this in Biology and Psychology. This is amazing how humans and other animals are born with the reflexes and instincts of what to do right after being born. My Biology class talked about Cuckoo birds pushing the others eggs out after it hatches to get rid of the competition for food with the other baby chicks. So after reading this, it made me think about what other things we were born with instinctively.