Is Conformity Always Bad?

The concept of psychology that I found most interesting throughout the semester, and the one I will likely remember for years to come, is the controversial issue of conformity. Obviously there are strong arguments for both sides, while watching the experiments presented in discussion, I found myself wondering: is conformity always a bad thing? Upon doing some research, I decided the answer to this question is no. An article published on Helium.com, suggests that conformity allows individuals to more easily accomplish goals. Furthermore, many groups that have been founded on the idea of uniformity have moved toward positive actions and tend to be very protective of its group members. That isn't to say individualism shouldn't be valued, but at some point, everyone needs to conform. For example, upon graduation, I hope to land a good job at a well-respected company. While I may think of it as unique to arrive at the interview with neon green hair, it is likely that I will not be offered the job as many people could see my appearance as a distraction. A certain amount of conformity is necessary to succeed in most professional settings. So, next time you wish to "stand out" and be unique, think about the future and the impact non-conformity could have on your future.

conformity3.jpg

Conformity is always going to be one of the most fascinating aspects of psychology to me. Although it was not what I wrote about for what will stick with me for years down the road, it is definitely a close second. I love the part of how you say that at some point or another we will all have to conform to something, and to say that everyone is their own individual is only partially true. Everyone can be considered their own person, but I doubt that there is anything that they do that does not conform to one part of society or another. Excellent thoughts, and a great post!

I completely agree with your opinion that it will not always be bad and in most situations actually be very helpful. Without conformity at a corporation like 3M they likely would be a lot less productive in coming up with new products.

The counterargument to that is without unique people, how would 3M come up with new products? If they are consistently conforming, would they ever think outside the box? I'm not so sure. Conformity is, of course, very important to productivity but it also can be a threat to creativity and the progress that can be gained from it.

I love that picture, it's hilarious. I think with conformity, it's merely a product of your personality in a lot of cases. To some level, we are all conformists, and we are all nonconformists. It's where we sit on the spectrum that defines who we are. I would say it's neither good nor bad, it just defines us.

I think your right that conformity is good to some point, because if people never fully agreed we wouldn't get that far in the world, yet at the same time it is needed to get other ideas said because everything that has changed the world has started with an idea.

Chanel Bags Caviar Leather White
rgonomics is a catch phrase in offices nowadays, and those who want to sell office and industrial furniture are sure to tag the word "ergonomics" to their products just so they could sell more briskly. Ivory can also be from the walrus, the hippopotamus and the whale too. Rain boots are a great choice if you want to protect your feet from wet conditions but you do not need something with great traction. The most practical booster seat, the Summit High Back, comes with amazing versatility with a myriad of adjustments and conversions. You're not above camping outside the night before if that's what it takes to get what you want. The product is sold under the name PowerShot S90 and it is a compact digital camera that is very much similar to the dSLRs in the market. In fact, the accumulation of oxidized fats, free radicals act as toxins inside the body. Chanel Bags Caviar Leather Blue. The lady that I spoke with said that the average was $155.00 per month. Wooden utensils used in kitchens would not have a very long life and very few original wooden work utensils have survived from a period earlier than the 18th century. And when the clock strikes the hour, the door at the top lets out the hand-painted Tinker Bell replica while a beautiful melody plays at the background. Chanel Wallet.

Article Source: http://www.walletsale.org/