Listen to Music; Create a Genius

In 1993, the supposed enhancement in intelligence after listening to classical music became very popular. Known as the Mozart Effect, a paper reported that college students who listened to about 10 minutes of Mozart showed significant improvements on spatial reasoning tasks. However, the finding didn't say anything about long-term enhancement of spatial ability or of intelligence in general. Yet, later researchers suggested that listening to Mozart rather than other composers might have produced greater emotional arousal, causing the effect. They also found that listening to a passage from a scary story produced similar spatial ability. These findings suggest that the Mozart Effect is a short-term arousal and anything that boosts alertness is likely to increase performance on mentally demanding tasks.

babymozart.jpg

Even with research suggesting otherwise, toy companies and popular press still took advantage of the Mozart Effect and ran with it. They marketed Mozart Effect CD's/cassettes and claimed that listening to that music would boost infant intelligence. It worked so well because parents are always looking for ways to easily educate and enhance their child's' intellect. However, despite trying to create miniature geniuses, the Mozart Effect is unlikely to produce long-term effects on spatial ability or overall intelligence.

Getting ready for finals? Here's a little Mozart music to help you prepare:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-eLzao63I

I find it amazing how quickly marketing companies and producers can jump on some scientific claims that have yet to be evaluated or given good evidence and run with it. This is a prim example of companies jumping the gun and possibly taking advantage of un-knowledgable consumers for a profit. In my opinion, I like to have a little music playing while I am working on some homework or reading textbooks, it can put me in a good mood and make the homework seem less tedious, so I could see how some arousing stimulus may boost alertness and concentration. Too many consumers believe whatever claim is out there and will jump on it.

I'm assuming the researchers in the Mozart compared to other composers study believed Mozart's music was far superior and so had "special powers" (heh heh). My question is how did the researchers' of the study of Mozart compared to other composers decide which composers to pick? Also, did they limit it to classical music, classical piano, etc?

This made me flash back to an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Hal was using Mozart to teach Reese but instead he taught Malcolm who was still in Lois. But anyway, the people who take advantage of this is pretty smart for doing so even though it doesn't really work. As long as the parents hear that it could help the child be smarter or being a better child, they would buy it to make them like that.

OH, the world of pseudo-psych! I find it really intriguing how companies jump on these sorts of bandwagons to make money. And the fact that we as consumers eat it up like no one's business. In the end, I feel like the idea of playing music for your unborn child is lovely, but it ends there. It's just sad to think that people buy into the idea.

I think the fact that businesses create something on the basis of scientific claims is a red flag in itself. By taking this Psychology course I feel more aware of how much these claims DON'T make sense. Should I believe a business executive has any knowledge on the basis of how music can increase a child's spatial ability? How would THEY know?? However, I do believe that some people concentrate better when they listen to music because it may relax them, settle the down, decrease their anxiety allowing them to perform better. But that doesn't mean the MUSIC itself is doing this.

I do find it interesting that the Mozart Effect created a substantial swing in sales of Mozart's music and other classical music that was deemed to improve intelligence, etc. To me I feel that it is similar to Valentine's day and Halloween that are deemed "Hallmark Holidays." The uproar in selling of Mozart music and the selling of cards and candy around the holidays is the same concept. We buy cause we think it makes us happier or makes us celebrate the holiday or in terms of the music, makes children smarter.

This bandwagon effect amazes me. This only expands the proof that consumers need to be more aware of the truth in business. There are so many scams out there that have the outer appearance of being valid, but, instead, just another way the industry is creating profit. It kills me how today's society is purely based on making a profit instead of producing quality products. Do industries have any morals?

I remember a song called black Sunday, I can not remember clearly, I have read reports about this song, called, heard this song many people have committed suicide.I can not ensure the exact letter of the news, but I really went for a short, I do not know whether to complete, after listening did make me feel pretty uncomfortable feeling, may be more of a sense of oppression.But I quite agree with the music effect on people. For better or worse.Insomnia when I listen to some ancient power music can fall asleep quickly.

I liked the link for Mozart's music at the end. It might benefit me if I listen to it right before my exam, but it would only be short term. While listening to Mozart has not been shown to help boost general intelligence, as a musician, I believe that listening to complicated music helps improve ones creative intelligence.

Good post to clear up the truth to myths such as this. I see classical music CD's targeted towards mother's and expecting mothers in pretty much every major department store. I personally enjoy listening to classical music while I do homework, so I can see how people believe that it will make an infant smarter. I don't think my parents had me listening to Mozart as a baby and I turned out ok!

I've always been curious about the actual effects of listening to classical music while studying, and the findings are very interesting compared to what I first thought. The CDs of Mozart could also act like the placebo effect. People are under the impression that listening to this music will make them study harder so they could study harder because of it, and become more distracted while other music is playing in their ears. I definitely feel more confident and willing to study just from the concept of listening to artists like Mozart. Good blog post, it brings up good points.