Standing Still While Tradegies Happen

The fact that dozens of people saw and heard Kitty Genovesse get stabbed to death over a half hour span in Kew Gardens, New York and did nothing blows my mind. Another situation that blew my mind was the girl in California who was gang raped for over two hours outside a school dance, and nobody else bothered to call the police. Because of these situations, it will be easy for me to remember the bystander effect and diffusion of responsibility, which is how we tell ourselves that we don't have to do anything because someone else will, for at least the next five years and most likely for the rest of my life. I find it appalling that nobody there did anything to save that girls life or stop that girl from being raped. These situations, our lectures, and the textbook made it clear that because of the rationalization we have in our thought process, we should just do our natural instinct and help people who are need of help.

It's good that you brought this up because the likelihood that at least a few people witness an event like this in their lifetime is good. Everyone needs to be aware of this bystander effect and know that people usually do not do anything and hopefully this will change their minds in a similar situation.