What would you do?

Have you ever been in a situation where you're driving along in your car and somewhere out of the corner of your eye you see someone fall off bike, sprain an ankle, or get in a car crash? Odds are that at one point most of us have, but the question which is interesting to investigate is, "Would you stop to help?" According to the idea that the bystander effect presents our willingness to the help the person would depend on how many other people we saw near the situation. So if we were driving past a park full of people, when we saw this person hurt themselves, odds are that the majority of us would not help them. The reason this happens is because many people have the idea in there head that, "Oh someone else is here, therefore they will be able to help him and I won't." However because everyone thinks this at the same time sometimes the person who is in need of help often does not receive any!

Another real life situation of the bystander effect was a time a young girl was abducted and because there were many people around no one chose to help. This can be viewed in the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvGIwLcIuw

Overall, it is scary to think that if we were experiencing an emergency in an area with 10 people instead or by 1 person alone, we would less likely be helped in the situation with 10.

What would you do?
bystandereffect.jpg

I also found it very interesting like you did, that when the number of people increases in the area where a crime is taking place, the less likely it is for someone to help the victim, etc. I am not sure if you if have a hard time believing this like I do. I have a hard time believing this due to the example of 9/11. It seemed on that day, everyone was helping people out no matter what the others situation was such as helping those who were physically hurt from the towers falling, people who were walking by were consoling each other, etc.It was an collaborative effort that the numerous people standing around, all participated in someway or another and in New York there are numerous people with in one square block radius. So in reality it may not be that people don't want to help because there are lots of other people around it may be the severity and time of day that will impact if people will help or not.

There's no doubt that everyone has fell victim to the bystander effect. My mom and I were watched a segment on the Today show which proved the bystander effect. They ran a study with a pseudo-rapist and a pseduo-victim, and when the victim yelled "Rape!", very few people stopped to help. On the other hand, when the victim yelled "Fire!", that caught more people's attention. It ran the question, are humans only willing to become involved if they're own life is at risk?

I did not know about the bystander effect before taking this class, and now that i have learned about it, i can see examples of it in society. The example of the girl being abducted with many people around is really sad and it goes against the idea that with many people around you that kind of situation should not happen.

That video was very interesting, it was surprising how many people actually just walked past. It can be very sad to think that people will not help other people, but most of us can recall doing the same thing while thinking somebody else would deal with it.

This whole idea is very interesting to me. I am the type of person that would usually help anyone in need. Not only when people are in an emergency, but also just with normal, everyday tasks. When I was younger, I use to like to help my mom in the kitchen cook meals for my big family. Even when my other siblings would try to help I would still lend a hand. This got stressful for my mother having too many people help at once so she would send a few of us away. This situation of "too many cooks in the kitchen" is what I think of if I were to see a bunch of people around a victim in an emergency. I wouldn't want to get in the way of other people helping, but I never thought of the fact that others might have that on their mind as well. People just need to be aware in emergency situations because they are all different and sometimes the more help the better.

I just did my entry on this same topic and found it to be so strange how these types of situations are inversely proportional to what someone would think. It is unreal that the more people around at a certain event where someone is dealing with an emergency, the less that people would go out of their way to do something about it. Not to put myself on the spot but just the other day by Coffman I was riding my back past and some girl was on the ground seizing which caught me off gaurd. People were already helping but I could have stopped to see if there was anything I could have done.

I am really not sure what will i do about the bystander thing. In China, there is really normal for some old people falling down and waiting for someone to help them. When others help them, they will shout and say:" he is the person who push me to be falling down!!" And ask the good person who help them to pay for the medical money. Then more and more cases happen, that makes people be a afraid to help them. But I still think I can help them to call the police or the ambulance.

It is really sad how prevalent the bystander effect is in our society. I admit I have fallen prey to it if I was in a hurry or there were a lot of people around to help I feel less responsible. But learning about the bystander effect in class, researching it a little, and with my knowledge now I feel that I am equipped to assist and will from now on. This can be shown by research done on the enlightenment theory, which is just simply knowing and learning about a theory will make you more likely to use it in every day life. Another instance where I will be able to assist when there may be a lot of people to help is in CPR, I just got certified for the second time and am confident to help! Hopefully others in society will help other citizens and us when we need it!

I don't know what I will do if I meet this thing. In my county I did a lot of thing to give old people money help them buy food, but I found all oa them are cheater, when I see still people begging on the roadside I still so sad, I still want to help them, but I will stop. A friend of mine once told me that, although the experience is valuable, but can not use your previous experience to look at all the things that are currently occur.I know,but I still think If I still give them money maybe I look like a fool.

You highlight a very interesting point. As we know from the textbook, you're right: people don't help if there are many people around. I find this extremely interesting, specifically because it seems as if it would be the opposite. Don't you feel safer when with a crowd than when being alone? I know I sure do, but this bystander effect really shifts the way I think about our society, and my safety in the future. Great post!

It eases my mind to think that I would always try and do the right thing by helping in any situation. But, it's basically impossible to predict what our subconscious will influence to do in such a situation. I think that by learning about this that it will hopefully stick for when a situation arises so that someone will always help even in a crowd.

It has been mentioned that people typically feel safer with a larger group of people, but the bystander effect seems to say different. I am extremely interested in why this is the case, a previous comment describes how a situation was created that involved a pseudo-rapist and a pseudo-victim. It was not mentioned whether individuals or large groups were present during the time of this experiment, but I wonder the effect that a large group would have. I feel as though a large group would be more willing to interfere in the rape due to the large group against the solo rapist. However, based on many other opinions and other cases it seems as though this might not be the case.

That was a very interesting post and the video definitely added a lot too the blog. We learned a lot this semester about the bystander effect but too me that was really taken to the next level. It was crazy in this example because in most cases there wasn't even a lot of people near where the abduction was occurring, yet people still walked by them within just a couple of feet.

I had this happen to me one day going to a twins game. We were in Minneapolis sitting at a stop light when we see a person walking towards another person with a baseball bat. I asked my mom what to do and her words were "someone else probably has already called the police" and back then, before learning about this topic, was curious to why we just assume it is someone elses responsibility. eventually we got the green light and I never knew what happened to the two men, or if the police showed up. But I still think it is a stupid mentality that people just assume someone else will do the right thing.