6 Scientific Thinking Principles

If there is one area of Psychology I hope and know I will still remember not only in the next 5 years, but for the rest of my life it is the 6 Thinking Principles we began talking about all the way back at the start of the semester. We have covered an incredible amount of material and it is unrealistic to think that five years down the road I would still remember most or even hardly any of the material. These Principles, however, do not only relate to Psych but to almost every career you could think of at least a little bit. My favorite and the one that is apparent the most in my life is that one thing does not necessarily cause the other. I see examples of this everywhere from the news to overhearing people on campus. I hope to go into business and within that field it is almost a guarantee that co-workers will be assuming that a stock is going up or down due to a side factor but we all know that it may not be the case. I hope that in the future many of the other side information retains within my long-term memory, but in case it doesn't I know I'll have at least taken away something very useful in this course.

mntn range.jpg

I agree John, nice post. I feel that these principles have been so ingrained in our heads since the beginning of the semester, that we will inevitably make connections later in life to some of them. I have noticed already that I find myself realizing the principles pop up in my everyday life.

I agree with you general point that this course has allowed us to view life and incorporate the 6 principles into them. I've noticed that extraordinary claims applies more in life. The larger the claim, the more proof people need to accept the claim. For example, if one person told another person that their house burned down, the person who's house burned down would want physical proof before believing them. If you tell someone they dropped a pencil though, they would check to see if they dropped it without proof.

I also named the six principles of scientific thinking as the most memorable part of my experience with the course. I agree; most of the information learned in Psychology 1001 will not be applicable outside of the course or in other fields. However, the principles of scientific thinking relate directly to one's logic and thought processes, which can be used in all walks of life.