« Our Virtual Realities | Main | Personalized internet »

Citizen Journalism Ruining the Industry?

This is a question that comes up again and again in all of my courses and for the most part no one really had a answer. It's very two-way. Where everyone is a consumer and enjoys getting news, information, movies, music, what have you, for free, there is also the other side of it-the business side.
As someone who is studying journalism and hopes to one day be at least a mildly-successful journalist, the trends we are experiencing worries me for my future. I think it is great that everyone has the ability to be productive and go out and record and report or be eye-witnesses and most importantly, express their thoughts or concerns. THis is the part about blogging I like, because it is usually just like minded- or different-minded people discussing components that make up our world. However, when it comes to actual reporting and fact-finding, journalists are still needed for this expertise that an average individual in most cases would not be able to do. For this I think the career of Journalist is still an appreciated entity and needs to be compensated as so.
However, news sources need to think of a way that their journalists will get paid so the original investigations can still take place and be funded. Now I don't really have an answer for this, but its something that worries me. A possibility of online subscriptions for news articles could work...but still people would copy and post them up somewhere else. Or maybe higher internet user fees that will get distributed to companies? I really don't see how either of those ideas will work actually haha. So maybe we are screwed...
In the meantime, I guess its good to just keep on keepin on, taking advantage of the amount of sources we have available at our finger tips and appreciating the quality journalism that many individuals provide...