ch2&3 layout

The use of the grid is one of the most basic fundamentals of design. It has been ever since the first art piece ever made. I liked the last couple pages the best, talking about the different elements of design. Juxtaposition, hierarchy, balance, proximity, and unity are some of these. I think the best and most clever designs are ones that have a strong showing of these elements. You can create a very simple and very effective piece without all the extra clutter if you take your time and keep the fundamentals in mind. Ive always been a very organized person, so I really like how the grid looks, and Im especially drawn to pieces with a very unique grid. I liked the part about the visual center too, the fact that it's not always the very middle is so true. Each piece, I think, has a different visual center and that usually has to do with the layout (grid).

I found the part in the third chapter about the development of the world map over time the most interesting because its very relate-able and we've seen it change in our lifetime. The points made about type size and style are good things to think about too. Ive done it plenty of times where I make everything and do the type last and then I usually end up re-adjusting everything again because type size varies from font to font. I plan on selecting typeface first and setting up a grid before I really get going on each page of my booklet.

This page contains a single entry by huebs018 published on April 13, 2010 10:03 PM.

google moodboard was the previous entry in this blog.

brochure grid is the next entry in this blog.

• logos
  • notes
  • my work