« Pat Tillman and Jesica Lynch... | Main | Time Killers »

Heavy Metal: Where has all of the media coverage gone?

I usually watch a variety of liberal and conservative cable news networks, and read online newspapers to get inspiration for this blog, however there has been a real lack of Iraq and Afghanistan coverage lately. It is my theory, that as war continues, the public becomes more immune to it. As the networks' ratings fall, and as circulation declines the discourse changes. In doing research on this topic I found that the American Journalism Review, a nonprofit organization, came up with the same conclusion.

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=4515

The major news networks cut their coverage of the Iraq war to an embarrassing 1 %, down from 27% of total news coverage, since the war began. Americans demand exciting violence to consume on television. I was amazed last week by how much coverage the rescue of the boat captain, that was taken hostage off the coast of Somalia, received. As far as military operations go, it was pretty lame, three snipers shot, three stupid pirates, yay. I compare the excitement of this operation to watching paint dry, there was just a story, no pictures or video. There are numerous more spectacular missions, which you would think that had more entertainment value than this, yet they are not being covered. Well America, maybe these will get your attention.

Click to download videos:

Download file

Download file

Download file

Download file

Download file