Advocacy Groups for "Freeing Grapes"

So confusing...seems that every state has different laws regarding the sale of wine. Some states have reciprocity rules, but you might be breaking the law if you're sending a bottle of wine from California to Alabama.

Our Constitutional Law course has been focusing a lot on state rights vs. federalism. This whole wine law issues seems so "backwards" to me. Why not allow the free trade between different states on wine law? It's not like we're in prohibition anymore. I need to find out, perhaps, what happened in recent history that makes these laws so bizarre. Seems strange that if my best friend in Alabama is getting married that I'd get thrown in jail for sending her a bottle of wine from a local winery in Minnesota. I found all this information on the Wine Institute Home Page. This site is more of an advocacy group for California wines...but the information is relevant to wine connoiseurs in Minnesota...especially for those people in Minnesota who were thinking of shipping wines to their friends.

Another general advocacy group is Free the Grapes. This is neat because they're taking on the perspective that a lot of wholesalers are basically pissed off that with wine being sold directly to the consumer, that they won't be making any money. So many wholesalers have lobbied the states to make it illegal for wineries to sell directly to the consumer. For wine lovers, this is a bad thing...why pay more for your wine than you really should? Again, I have to do a bit more research on this, not sure if this has become more of an issue after the popularity of internet sales.

I also found this on the state auditor's website.. Click on the Liquor Regulation. It is important to note that in general the adjusted wine price in Minnesota is 5-7% higher than in Wisconsin. I guess the next time I visit my dad in Eau Claire, I will be hanging out in the liquor store at Mega Foods comparing wine prices to the Byerly's in my neighborhood.

Okay back to the real world of law...when I have time, I have to do more research and comment. This is an unending nightmare...I keep finding more information I want to read up on and so keep archiving...

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! ywoodtyagcife

Hey Venora, it's about time someone wrote about this. I have to send wine across states every day and these different laws cause no end of problems, thanks for pointing this out

This page contains a single entry by Venora Hung published on September 18, 2006 5:19 PM.

Ordering Wine On-Line...good/bad? was the previous entry in this blog.

Boalt has a Wine Law Course... is the next entry in this blog.