Recently in Experimental Rotoscoping Category

Experimental Rotoscoping

In the course "Digital Filmmaking Experimental Techniques" I created two projects using the rotoscope process. Rotoscoping is a visual technique in which frames from a live action video are traced over and painted upon to create a different form of animation. In order to make these pieces, first I filmed live action footage. Secondly, I took the footage and put it into a film-editing program, "Final Cut Express". I then took each frame and cut it down to eight frames per second. Next, I printed off the still images, traced and colored each frame individually using a light table. Afterward, I scanned each image back into the computer, bringing it back into the editing program and edited the footage. It is a long, exhausting process, but the outcome is definitely worth the time. It takes hours upon hours to complete, putting your heart and soul into it. Although, the process of rotoscoping is demanding, I feel that it is the most personal of all my projects. The three people filmed are my close friends, which in turn leads the viewer into my personal world and the wonderful community of people who make me who I am today.

"Sorry for Party Rockin'" is film on the experience of rotoscoping and a short preview into the world of a college life. It was my first rotoscope. It took 64 pictures to create eight seconds.

Branching out with the same technique in my second rotoscope, "The Target" I still deal with people interacting with one another, however, it a science fiction story of a girl killing off two boys who attack her. Here it took 260 pictures to create 30 seconds worth of film. Below are postproduction pictures of my second rotoscope. Postproduction is just as important as the shooting and editing. Here you plan out what you think is going to happen. Sometimes during shooting you get the moment of truth that makes the film, and other times you find it in editing. Anyway you find it, it makes the piece. It makes the whole process worth it, in order to find that one special moment and tell the story for years to come. The first photo is showing the first 25 pictures used for the first four seconds of the film. The second is a photo of the whole 260 drawings used.

_MRH0451.jpg

_MRH0466.jpg

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Experimental Rotoscoping category.

Documentary Project 2 is the previous category.