Globalization

Globalization means the spread or the extending to other countries around the world.

A good example of globalization are food. Over the years, America had included many things from many other cultures/people into the American society. Food from certain groups are now slowly being recognize because they (immigrants) had the opportunity to open their own shops. Now other countries are slowly adding 'America' into their society. A very good example are Asian country especially China. Fast food restaurants like McDonald, KFC, Burger King and even Taco Bells. "They held the most customers and social gatherings," said Mr. Yu (my Chinese teacher). Though these places makes the most money out of other fast food restaurants, their traditional food are still appreciated. I recall a moment in my Chinese class that his teacher's son grew up in America, and everytime when they go out to eat with friends, they would always need to stop at McDonald before going to eat at a traditional Chinese restaurant. Globalization can be taken both as a positive or a negative thought, depending on the person.

The first thing that I would think of when globalization is mention, I would think about food. In this picture that I have chosen, is a McDonald fast food restaurant in China. "The McDonald restaurants in China is much more fancier than here in America," recalled Mr. Yu.

365926517_2f3c837351.jpg

http://kendrickhang.com/2007/03/03/the-scourge-of-fast-food-overseas/
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/globalization?s=t

Globalization

By Angie

INTERNATIONAL
THINKING AT ITS BEST!

Question: What is the truest definition of Globalization?
Answer: Princess Diana's death.
Question: How come?
Answer: An English princess
with an Egyptian boyfriend
crashes in a French tunnel,
driving a German car
with a Dutch engine,
driven by a Belgian who was drunk
on Scottish whiskey,
followed closely by Italian Paparazzi,
on Japanese motorcycles;
treated by an American doctor,
using Brazilian medicines.
This is sent to you by an American,
using Bill Gates's technology,
and you're probably reading this on your computer,
that use Taiwanese chips,
and a Korean monitor,
assembled by Bangladeshi workers
in a Singapore plant,
transported by Indian lorry-drivers,
hijacked by Indonesians,
unloaded by Sicilian longshoremen,
and trucked to you by Mexican illegals.....
That, my friends, is Globalization

Submitted by Curtis
Edited by Calamjo

http://www.funxite.com/get/misc-fun-stuff/poems/funny-poems/globalization.htm

The author of this poem intended for it to be humorous. The main point about this poem is that everything in our society now is globalized, especially our equipment such as the computer i'm writing on and the vehicles i ride everyday. One computer is made up of bits and pieces that come from every end of the world. Globalization has become such a immense part of the worlds economy, politics and culture that it can be fund nearly anywhere and in anything.

Assimilation

The state of being assimilated; people of different backgrounds come to see themselves as part of a larger national family.

This is what assimilation means, and to my picture it describes a lot. A red apple in the midst of a whole bunch of green apples it seems to me that the red apple wants to fit in. I believe this is so because the red apple has a green leaf in it this symbolizes to me that it is trying to fit in with the green apples. Even though the red apple stands out I feel like it feels welcomed by the green apples. I also feel that the green apples are welcoming the red apple. Just being part of a group and being different may be uncomfortable but we can still fit in by trying to simply fit in. we should just be like the red apple and try to fit and by having a little green on us. And that little green is the leaf. The red apple will be guided by the green apple in order to fit in more and I trust the green apple to help the red apple out. And just like the apple we all have a little red in us. Always trying to fit in a place or a community and always trying to grow the little green leaf. I think we as human do try to be the red apple all the time and I can tell by my experience.

"Apples Pic's." Thesilverpeoplechronicle. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 July 2012. http://thesilverpeoplechronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/assimilation.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Gsm&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=assimilation&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=FGn6T-2XPIWorQHgz6WLCQ&ved=0CFkQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=946&ech=1&psi=FGn6T-2XPIWorQHgz6WLCQ.1341810965707.3&emsg=NCSR&noj=1&ei=FGn6T-2XPIWorQHgz6WLCQ

Refugee

REFUGEE

By Phillippa Yaa de Villiers

Friday, June 27, 2008.

People ask me:
where is home?

Last time I saw my village
it was burning
in the night.

My house, a screaming
mouth
of firehot fear
in the mask of darkness.

My only thought was flight.

Nobody here understands my language, so
I speak the tongue of compromise.
The grateful grammar
of being alive.

This is my certainty, my identity.

People ask me, where is home?
I say
home is where the heart is.

At night I watch the stars:
distant villages, all aflame,
terrified angels, running away.

The poem, "Refugee" by Phillippa Yaa de Villiers is about life in general as a refugee. the poem is constructed in a sense that the audience is able to visualize and comprehend what causes the poet to fled their their village. In the second stanza the poet mentioned that time he saw his home was burning. Can you imagine your home burn down and you're force to leave. By reading this poem I got the feelings that the poet's home is important to him . He said,"This is my certainty, my identity", this line proves that home is something valuable to the poet.

I would like to breakdown the last stanza it really stands out. The stars represents the people fleeing their village escaping for their live. This stanza really gives me a visual of people leaving their homes , running around frightened. i can picture people running away from harms with confusions.

Title: Refugee
Poet: Phillippa Yaa de Villiers

Publication date: Friday, June 27, 2008.

Link: http://www.thenewblackmagazine.com/view.aspx?index=1453

Disparity between two world

hmong01.jpg

ArtBook__042_042__ChristHealingTheSickAtBethesda_Sm___.jpg

Disparity between two world means the difference between two different countries, races, or cultures. In my opinion, I think the two images that are above show the culture different between Hmong and America culture which are a idea to show disparity. However, in Hmong culture as the past, Hmong people live through out in jungles and forests. They find anything that can be eat to eat. For example, hunting wild pigs, birds, chickens, and even found fruits to eat as well. They had live a long life in the wild. The Hmong people had done everything they can to survive and live on. In addition, in Hmong culture there is a way that Hmong people use to do to have fun. They throw ball to each other, talk, and sing a Hmong culture song. This is how people greeting each other when it is new year. Some Hmong people throw balls because they are couples. The way of throwing balls with each other still going on today during new year time has come. But now life had change, Hmong people had come to the U.S. Which is a great future. So the life in America had change them. For example, some Hmong people are starting to give up their culture and go into Cristian culture. Some of them are going to church. In Cristian culture, people believe in god. In the second image above show an example of Cristian culture. People who are poor receive helps from Jesus. Jesus is a person god send into this world to help disable and bad people. So these are the ways of the difference between two different cultures.

These images are coming from google.com:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hmong+culture&hl=en&biw=1147&bih=770&tbm=isch&tbnid=ObF9qRht1iaLUM:&imgrefurl=http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/projectart/art/worldcultures/hmong01.html&docid=WvpLmasooicZbM&imgurl=http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/projectart/art/worldcultures/images/hmong01.jpg&w=472&h=452&ei=3GH6T57FOcvHqQGerKWcBA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=409&sig=103312103362642236916&page=1&tbnh=133&tbnw=139&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0,i:91&tx=62&ty=82

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=christian+culture&start=84&num=10&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1147&bih=770&tbm=isch&tbnid=Dyo6d2TSqjv6tM:&imgrefurl=http://toseemthestranger.blogspot.com/&docid=0H3Fgaq0aqvU4M&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HLzrzJ85DVU/S_EJbp-uYYI/AAAAAAAAANI/i1b578aXoz0/s1600/ArtBook__042_042__ChristHealingTheSickAtBethesda_Sm___.jpg&w=800&h=648&ei=imH6T83VEs6NqQGW8Y2LCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=122&vpy=84&dur=418&hovh=147&hovw=182&tx=161&ty=115&sig=103312103362642236916&page=4&tbnh=128&tbnw=158&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:84,i:25

Blog POst # 2 "Push and Pull" by John Myers

Summary: The poem "Push and Pull" by JOhn Myers, talks about the life that an immigrant has to live. Immigrants want to come to America for a better life for themsleves, and for all the oppurtunities america has. The thing is society makes the United States seem luke the land of wonders to immigrants, but when they get to the United States, its totally diffrent. Immigrants are being judged, and are picked on. The way that these immigrants are being treated, sometimes makes them wondrer if they are welcomed enough or if they should go back to there country, because they are worried about their safety. All of these topics and ideas are brought up in the poem "Push and Pull", John Myers then goes on to sum up the whole poem, by saying its a cycle, and the that this will just keep on happening, but eventually immigrants will be accepted into the country they migrated to.

Analyze

While reading this poem the line that stook out to me the most was
" Eventually each group melds into the giant pot
Becoming a part of a new America"
Reading this line I was caught off guard, because what Myers is trying to get accorss to the reader with this line is true. EAch group of immigrants that come into America, after time gets used to the habits and traits that Americans have, and the immgrants will feel more welcomed. When Myers says "Becoming a part of a new America" what i got from this line is that , he is trying to say that immigrants will bring something new to the American cultures, and with all the immigrants that keep on comming to America, we will keep on learning and getting new things from them.

Push and Pull

Like many who came before
From distant corners of the globe
Pushed from home
Fleeing calamity
Hunger, Poverty, War

The United States
Land of Dreams
Pulling those seeking a better life
Offering hope and optimism
To the downtrodden, the desperate

They've come to this New World
For several hundred years now
In crashing waves from different places at different times
Only to face new struggles
In a new land

"They're taking our jobs."
"They're stealing our money."
"They don't want to speak English."
"Send them all back to where they came from."
They've all taken turns bearing the brunt

Eventually each group melds into the giant pot
Becoming a part of a new America
Time and time again
And the wave we have crashing over our shores now
Will, too

Work Cited

Myers, John. "Google." helium.com. N.p., 2008. Web. 8 Jul 2012. .

Blog Post # 2, "Immigrant" by Fleur Adcock

Summary: The poem "Immigrant" was written by the author Fleur Adcock, focusing on her personal experience when migrating from New Zealand to London, England sometimes during the 60s. The poem talks about her 8th month in London on a bridge looking at the pelicans down on the surface of the river. She watched them while describing their awkward motion of ducking their beaks under the water. Adcock then reveals the fact that she is still trying to practice of avoiding her New Zealand accent.

Analyzing: The poems literally talks about her personal experience with Saint James Park's scenery when visiting the place. Adcock used the metaphor "pelicans" with respect to immigrants because pelicans are the "immigrant" birds on the lake trying to cope with the environment and surrounding. This portrays the assimilation process as the author and the pelicans both trying to adapt to the new environment. One person trying to fix her pronunciation while the animals trying to cope with natural environment. The tone of the poem is calm, follows by a description of the activities of the pelicans, which stimulated the reader a sense of peace, yet awkward. The poem reflects the processes of immigration and assimilation.
immigrant.jpg

Works Cited Page:

Fleur Adcock. "Immigrant". Poems 1960-2000 (Bloodaxe Books, 2000). The Poetry Archive Organization. 1p.web

link: http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=476

Transnationalism

usa-mexico-border.jpg

In my opinion transnationalism is having a social bond between two or more countries. This picture is good example of transnationalism because it has a sign of a family on the side to warn the drivers that they will be crossing the border through the high way on the picture. On my way to United States, I traveled the same way only legally. I traveled with my family through a places full of trees. We had people to help us get to the country we was trying to go to which is Kenya. The sign represents Illegal immigrants crossing the border risking thier lives because crossing that highways symbolizes the risk that they have to take. The directory sign on the road says international borders. By crossing that border, they are traveling from country to country.

For example the author from the book Drown is transnational himself because he came to America when he was 7. This picture exemplifies transnationalism in terms of latinos or Hispanics coming into the United States by crossing the border. They face obstacles on the way to crossing the border and that highway on the picture symbolizes one of that obstacles that they face trying to make it to United States.

This picture is from Google images:
http://socgeo.ruhosting.nl/html/images/usa-mexico-border.jpg

Transnationalism- Living between two nations

transnationalism.jpeg

Transnationalism is when a person has a social tie or bond between two countries. Within this photo it shows how a person is in between two world. By having two hands touching the globe, it truly represents what transnationalism is. It is a visual image of a person being in two countries at one moment. Examples of transnationalism is writing letters back and forth to your native countries, sending money back, or going back to your native country to help others.

This image had an impact on me because my family can relate to it. My grandma still lives in Laos, thus my mom always sends monthly money of $100 to her. Every time my mom forgets, my grandma calls my mom and asks her for money. Sometimes my grandma even sends in tapes for my mom to listen to her message. Throughout my life I've experienced transnationalism. I believe most immigrants also go through the process of transnationalism. Transnationalism can also happen politically where people go back into their country and try to become the president after living in America and having the knowledge to handle their country.
Relating back to the image of the two hands holding the globe, it helps the audience to visualize what transnationalism is. It can also be similar to international relationship, where a person lives in one country and also help his/her native country. This piece of art speaks out to many people by just looking at it and observing how important it is to try to balance being with two countries.

This image was from McMaster University website http://www.politicalscience.mcmaster.ca/research/globalization-and-transnationalism

Poetry: Immigration

AMERICAN DREAM (The original immigrants)

Ancestors came across the waters

Men, women, sons and daughters

Ellis Island is where they'd debark

Record numbers to make their mark

Immigrants dreamed of no more strife

Craving the chance for a better life

Always unsure but determined to cope

Never turning from their faith and hope

Denouement unknown, they came ashore

Reaching their destination, America's door
Every day was an adventure anew

As they adjusted to their new milieu

Many saw their dreams come true.

This poetry reminds me of what I learned about Ellis Island. It also makes me see how they are going through their adventure and what they are doing for. In this poetry it is talking about why immigrants migrate into the United States for and how it will better their life and their family. They are hoping that when coming into the United States everything will turn out better. Those that migrated into the United States had dreams and being able to come here they can see their dreams coming to reality.

Padgett, Patty E. "Poetry: Immigration." Helium. Helium, 25 May 2010. Web. 05 July 2012. .

Recent Comments

• vang1367: Really enjoyed reading your blog. I like the ideas that read more
  • vang1367: GREAT JOB! Really like your pictures! I enjoyed reading your read more
  • vang1367: Good definiton and well-said. You have a good point of read more
  • vang1367: Really Enjoyed the poem.It express the start of immigrationa and read more
  • vang1367: I really liked the ideas that you quote your teacher read more
  • luong056: I thought you were suposed to choose a poem or read more
  • luong056: I like your poem, the way the author asked a read more
  • luong056: Dear folks, first of all, the media and the poem read more
  • nejas001: I love this picture you posted. I believe thats the read more
  • nejas001: McDonalds is EVERYWHERE. You can find it in any corner read more

Recent Assets

• 365926517_2f3c837351.jpg
  • ArtBook__042_042__ChristHealingTheSickAtBethesda_Sm___.jpg
  • hmong01.jpg
  • immigrant.jpg
  • usa-mexico-border.jpg
  • transnationalism.jpeg
  • Hmong-new-homepage.jpg
  • international_united.jpg
  • Screen shot 2012-06-27 at 4.11.42 PM.png
  • imgres.jpg