Books and their influence in Morals

dark-thinking-loneliness-alone-broken.jpeg

It is said that it depends on the culture if people have morals or not, mostly because each individual has a different perspective about education and morals in general. From the article I took "Huck Finn's Conscience" we could tell that sometimes it is not only on the culture but also in many different sources and places that we do not even think about. The article give us a brief description and analysis of the main character, we could tell by his behavior what kind of person he could be. In the article the author says "there is no reason for us to adopt Huck's own view of what constitutes his conscience," now if we were to think about this statement, we could see that many people was influenced by these thoughts, like modern culture nowadays. In our society we have many different ways to portray people or to put them in categories depending on their situation. If we were to talk about morals and how many different pieces of art influenced the way that many people think, we could see that everything is related, most pieces of art have a common bond that for some people is controversial. The article also talks about sympathy and its possible outcomes, how well we get along with the statement and how we practice it, the author of the article said, "Huck's conflict cannot simply be a conflict between conscience and sympathy, because sympathy plays an important role on both sides." This is I believe a strong statement, because now the author is not only talking about conscience but also about sympathy, these two different things that people have to deal with everyday, and in this situation, culture or race is not an important factor to consider. Many people believe is some statements they find in books, but sometimes it doesn't really are something that we expect. It is not something we would do right away, because we have conscience, and we analyze it first before we go along with people's sayings.
Sources
Schinkel, Anders. "Huck Finn, Moral Language and moral Education." Journal of philosophy of education 45.3 (2011): 511-525

I agree with you Ericka because sympathy is everywhere, even if you don't notice it. Also, because of our conscience, we have sympathy towards people. We think and see then act and feel.

Moral and sympathy are important in everyday lives. It something that human have. This article is very interesting and I think you did great on explaining the influences on culture.

i agree with you Ericka. What you get out out of the book is what you want. but the author can still influence the morals and the thinking of others.

I totally agree with you Ericka. having morals and sympathy is important escpecially in our soicrty today.

This is good! I like how you talked about it then explained it on your own in what it means. It makes it easy to understand. I really liked how you phrased it. I do agree with you too because moral and sympathy are important in life such as making a decision. Good job explaining it!