The British Empire and India

slaves.jpg

Everyone knows we have a holiday for Christopher Columbus, because he was the famous British that discovered America. But does everyone really know the full story behind this claim? Well the truth is Columbus first landed in the West Indies, south of America. And he just didn't stop to say hello, which is far from the truth. The main concern for the British was gathering the rich sugar canes that grew in the area. Plantations were set up and business was in session. Taken from an academic paper written by Prakash C Jain, it states that, in between 1838 and 1917, just a time span of 80 years, 240,000 people were brought from British controlled India to Guyana, South America.
This is important to me because Guyana is where my parents are from, where I can trace my history back to. Guyana is a small low developed country that is very unique to other countries in South America because the dialect spoken is a Creole English. From this surplus of Indians brought across seas, the population in Guyana has stayed even when looking at the Indian and Guyanese population. The Indians were not only brought to Guyana but many other places. Also gotten from Prakash Jain, he states that an estimate 12,100,000 Indians were moved away from their country to various countries around the world.
There are a lot of similarities I can find in learning from this discovery that relates to my life and others as well. Such as the music I listen to, the food we dominantly eat in our house, our religious belief which is Hindu, and many other factors. When I was a child and I would be asked where are you from, and I tell them I'm Canadian and be done. But that answer that had so much more than just that simple answer, soon it became not enough for me. I wanted a way to identify myself. And I found it after being told from my father that my great grandma is originally from East India. But what really matters is where I am now. What is most important is the identity I am making for myself now. Because all of us has some history that is ugly, but that is what brings motivation to make the most out of the situation that was never an option for our ancestors.

Indians Abroad: A Current Population Estimate
Prakash C. Jain
Economic and Political Weekly , Vol. 17, No. 8 (Feb. 20, 1982), pp. 299,301
Published by: Economic and Political Weekly
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4370703

Something about this article that I found different from what I knew is that Christopher Columbus was first born in Geneva, Italy. After a period of time he moved to Spain and he got the money from the Spanish crown to explore the supposed West Indies, from the history that I know about him I know he was naturalized Spanish, and he changed his name to Cristobal Colon. I think that is just something to consider but other that that I think you did an awesome job with this article, it is really educative and interesting to read.

That is very interesting! I can relate to you because I don't just say that I am American or Asian American. I like to say that I am Hmong and my parents are from Laos. I also like to connect my history to myself too to show who I am and who I identify myself as. :) Good Job!

that interesting. I didn't know that. I've always wonder why people from Guyana looked indian (and they are). I learned a lot reading this.