Upward Bound to me

I think a huge turning point in my life at upward bound was sophomore year. I remember being tired and done with school and I didn't really felt like I wasn't meant to go to college and I wanted to quit. I kept up that negative attitude in both school and upward bound throughout the entire year. It was summer when I finally got my head back in the game and I was reminded why I signed up for the program in the first place, it's why the summer classes and the summer program are my favorite- you leave school, tired and beat down, only to come back to more school in the summer but except this time It's fun and engaging and you feel a sense of freedom that you don't get to feel in the 9 months you go to school. Between the dorm life that is meant to replicate the college feeling and the activities at the end of the day to the classes we took that were meant to help us prepare for college upward bound reminds you that college is more than just staring at the teacher talk. Summer's managed to make school entertaining and educative at the same time and managed to change my mind about how I went about school. After the summer program I worked more on my grades and my classes to try to get a better chance of attending college, I scoffed at the idea of me dropping out of high school and now I'm set and ready to go.

First Blog

One thing I enjoyed about Upward Bound is experiencing new things and meeting new people from different places with different cultures. One of my favorite experience in Upward Bound was the one week experience at Outward Bound. Outward Bound made me realize no matter what and how many things you have, you will always complain and want more. So I learned to appreciate what I have and think about others that are worse than me. I also enjoyed learning and being around students with totally different cultures than mine and who had a lot of obstacles to overcome to get to where they at now. This is impotant to me because not only I learned from what I had to overcome but I also learned from their experiences.TRiO Family.jpg

OutwardBound Trip

Upward bound is truly another family. At first it was just a program that i joined out of the blue. I never thought it would help me change and see things in so many ways. Upward Bound gad gotten me to try new things such as Outward Bound. This trip was full of laughter , tears , and a lot of love through class of 2014. It was hard waking up in the cold morning and then to be in the canoe all day in the sun. I was captain for a day and felt like like I was going insane yelling and instructing seven teens. I laugh thinking back on this because this must be what my Upward Bound must feel like. Although through the struggles during the trip, everyone was very supportive at every step I took. It had taught me to ask for help when it is needed and that it is okay to be weak.I build great relationship and surely will cherish this moment .
2014.jpg

Freshman Year

One significant part in my TRiO Upward Bound experience was my first year. I came in the summer of my sophomore year. I imagined living in the dorms to be something completely different from what I experienced. I enjoyed the independence living on the dorms provided me. I thought that the independence they showed us was to prepare the student for living in dorms for college.

I remember when we had summer orientation and I was asking a lot of questions and I even read the student handbook about ten times.I was so excited to live with some of my friends that waking up at seven for summer classes was okay. One thing that I liked about upward bound was that during the day the TRiO staff worked out our brains with mathematics and government but in the afternoon we had activities that worked our bodies and souls. Some activities that we did was go volunteer at feed my starving children and play at sky zone.

My freshman year experience was one of the reasons I continued to be in Upward Bound. I learned so much in just one summer weather it be math, government, or even leadership class. Sophmore year is when I realized that there are many factors that go into having a successful life or career.
20130923__GoldyGopher_statue_400.jpg

Joining Upward Bound

I never realized how important the future was until I joined Upward Bound. My older brother and sisters are now both Alumni's. If it was not for them, I would have never been introduced to this program. During my freshman year of high school, I knew that I wanted to be a high school graduate, but one specific question bothered my mind. I would ask myself "What's after high school?" I honestly did not know what my future held. When I joined Upward Bound, they made me realize that there was many options after high school. Upward Bound also came in handy when I falling behind in my classes. I would come to Individual study and get tutored, because of this opportunity I was able to catch up with my classmates and maintain myself.
I learned new study skills and exactly how to ask for help. Many may think that Upward Bound is only academic, because of this program I have also learned how to get out of my comfort zone but learned new social skills. It has become my second family, a place and people I know I can always depend on. Upward Bound have helped me make a decision on where I am going to college and what career path I want to take.hi.jpg

Our Road to College

I started to view Upward Bound differently starting last summer. It was the summer before my senior year, and we were writing essays and going on college tours so we could sign up for colleges as soon as their application was available to us. I was stunned at how we were getting things done fast because I thought we still had an entire school year to get ready for college. We were writing our personal statements, special circumstance letters and perfecting our resumes all around the same time. I learned over the summer that it is not good to procrastinate and doing things ahead of time will help you in the long run. Since I am a first generation future college student I didn't know what to expect when it came to signing up for college and what I had to get prepared. Upward Bound really helped me get ready for college. We had to write essays and we revised them so many times that by the time I submitted them, they were way different than when I first started to write them. We also toured many different colleges and that was a great experience too because I got to know more about the colleges than what was just said online. I am grateful for Upward Bound and for all the skills I have gained throughout the years because I would not be the person I am today if I had not joined the programwisconsin.jpg

Our Road to College

I started to view Upward Bound differently starting last summer. It was the summer before my senior year, and we were writing essays and going on college tours so we could sign up for colleges as soon as their application was available to us. I was stunned at how we were getting things done fast because I thought we still had an entire school year to get ready for college. We were writing our personal statements, special circumstance letters and perfecting our resumes all around the same time. I learned over the summer that it is not good to procrastinate and doing things ahead of time will help you in the long run. Since I am a first generation future college student I didn't know what to expect when it came to signing up for college and what I had to get prepared. Upward Bound really helped me get ready for college. We had to write essays and we revised them so many times that by the time I submitted them, they were way different than when I first started to write them. We also toured many different colleges and that was a great experience too because I got to know more about the colleges than what was just said online. I am grateful for Upward Bound and for all the skills I have gained throughout the years because I would not be the person I am today if I had not joined the program. wisconsin.jpg

Outward Bound and Me

I have had many "out of the box" experiences while being a part of Upward Bound. One in particular, had an outstanding effect on me and my development as a person as well as a student. The wilderness excursion, Outward Bound, changed me for the better.
Although I was told what to expect, I had no idea what I was really getting in to. Outward Bound is a program that allows students to experience nature and life under conditions that they otherwise might never encounter. The true intensity of this wasn't understood until I found myself in what felt like the middle of nowhere, carrying canoes and purifying my drinking water with drops of iodine. I was put in an environment that required me to be uncomfortable at times, forcing my mind to open wider every day. Being a part of a lifestyle so drastically different from my own brought me to appreciate many things more deeply, that I unknowingly take for granted. Existing in space for a period of time as short as a week, while lacking the abundance resources one is so used to, can be very rough. There was no 45 minute showers, no clean clothes for each day, and none of my favorite meals. It felt as if I was doing without but I was really just learning how to be more conservative.
The trip helped me grow in many aspects and exposed me to a new environment. It is important to experience different components of life other than you own. This was a great experience.outward-bound.jpg

TRiO Upward Bound

TRIO_Works_Resized.jpg

TRiO Upward Bound

College has always been a difficult path for me to attain and work for. Luckily TRiO Upward Bound and my family and friends were there when I needed support or information. With all of their support I was able to become the person I am today. By enrolling in this Bridge program, I am able to challenge myself and take rigorous college classes to help me expect for the future.

The steps that TRiO Upward Bound have helped me with have gone beyond all expectations. They have given me hope and dreams. They have told me what to expect what will happen in college and my opportunities I will have for my career. I have been with TRiO Upward Bound for 3 years now and the 3rd year was the most helpful. I started off the 3rd year in the fall with TRiO Upward Bound not knowing what to expect nor how college could be. I thought college would have been the most difficult task in my life and that I was going to give up on going. With past experiences, I have saw all my siblings studying and stressing out. I did not wanted to be that type of person, so I started off telling myself that I should take a year off.

Throughout the year, TRiO Upward Bound taught me all about the basics and the effective secrets about college. They taught me how loans work, how to study abroad, narrowing down my interests, some college advices, time management, and especially financial aid benefits. They also help me start early on scholarships and help me apply to college so that I will have a better chance of getting into college and getting the scholarship help as I can. They continue to amaze me, support me, and put me on the right path throughout the year. This had help me change my idea about college. They inspire me to go to college again. They also taught me the most beneficial thing of all that is to never give up on something that I am afraid of doing. I now see that with what I learn, I can be a more successful person in college and in my own future career.

Thank you TRiO Upward Bound!

Start of UB

I first joined Upward Bound my junior year of high school. That same year I transferred from Desalle private school to South public school, so everything was very different. My mother found Upward Bound and I applied to enter the program. Thankfully I got in. It was really good for me because the people that I meet helped me with the whole transition of switching from a public from a private.
Not only did they help me with the transition but they also helped me stay on task with my goals in life. Some of my goals that I accomplished were graduating on time, getting into the college of my choice, and finding scholarship money. Upward Bound pushed me to my limits and reminded me to stay on task, which is what every student needs.10341700_729612460414958_3414410741575029408_n.jpg