Could a Strict Diet Ease (or possibly cure) Autism?

I have a second-cousin with mild autism, a cousin with aspergers, and a nephew that possibly has autism; Needless to say, I have a great interest in this condition. I have heard of all the hypes (including the one about vaccinations) and have also heard of many treatments (such as special learning setting, which was effective for my 2nd cousin I might add...). One treatment that has really spiked my interest, however, is the Gluten-Free/Casein-Free (GFCF) diet. According to WebMD, "the gluten-free/casein-free diet is based on the theory that children with autism may have an allergy or high sensitivity to certain foods." Though little research has been done on this, many parents still give it a try in hopes it could ease symptoms.

This diet involves removing all foods containing gluten (wheat products being the most common) and casein (most dairy products). This diet is strict, hard to follow, and can lead to improper nutrition being so many foods are restricted. With these products removed from an autistic person's diet, other measures will need to be taken in order to make sure the nutrition is being gotten from elsewhere.

For more information on the GFCF diet visit: http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/gluten-free-casein-free-diets-for-autism

Watch this video for a brief overview on a book written about the GFCF diet (appeared on the Today Show):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJUsyypI4Y

This is very interesting but what makes them think it works at all? What have researchers found that made them come up with this hypothesis? It must be very difficult to find foods that match this diet while also trying to give the person proper nutrition. Hopefully they can find more information on this so that they can guarantee whether it is effective or not.

I have never heard of dieting affecting or curing Autism. I would be very interested in more research showing how this would make a difference. I would also like to know what would happen if kids without autism would act if they had the GFCG diet. I am sure that many parents that have children with autism will try anything to try and "cure" their child's autism. I just hope this diet doesn't deprive the children from necessary nutrition.

Really? For the extraordinary claims, we also need extraordinary evidence. The exact cause of autism is still unknown, although the genetic reason tends to be the major one. This diet method is easy to cause malnutrition, we really need some further researches to prove its effectiveness.

This is a very interesting post. I think that people should be aware of the treatments, if they will really cure autism or not. Sometimes some treatments actually don't show any correlation. I think the diet sounds kind of harsh. By means, if it does "cure" autism then that's a great idea, but trying that would be sacrificing a lot. I hope researchers will find a better solution.

I've actually heard of this too, a loooong time ago. It was an interview of a woman who had put her autistic son on this strict diet. And to her case, it did work. But what exactly is it about this diet that causes the autism to go away??