coping strategies for stress

Chapter 12 of our textbook discusses different ways of coping with stress. On page 459 of our textbook there is a test we can take to determine our level of stress. After taking the test, the results are not surprising. I was in the "moderately stressed" range. I assume that most people are at least in the "mildly stressed" range and perhaps a few people are in the "major stressed" range. What this test demonstrates is that almost everyone is stressed which means that we need to find health ways to deal with that stress.

The problem-focused coping strategy is when we solve problems by directly confronting the issue and working through the problem. The problem-focused works hand-in-hand with the emotion-focused coping strategy which is when we try to change our thought process to view our situation or problem in a more positive light while engaging in behaviors that solve our problems and reduce emotional stress.

These coping strategies are great ideas and they are useful to incorporate into our lives. But how exactly do we utilize these coping strategies? What I mean is these strategies are easier said than done. In a stressful situation how do you change your thought process to view a situation in a more positive light? Do you all have certain tactics you use to help minimize stress?

Sometimes it is too hard for me to turn off my thoughts or to redirect them to view a situation in a more positive light. My way of minimizing stress is exercise - the best way for me to release some of that initial stress pressure is to go for a long hard run where I can't do anything but focus on pushing forward. After a hard workout I am usually much more open to problem-solving and my problems don't seem as overwhelming.

This is a very interesting topic that most everybody faces in our everyday lives. I think the problem-focused coping strategy is a great idea if you can get it to work for you, but I also agree that this is easier said than done. Personally, I cope with stress by reading novels. I throw myself into the story and for that moment in time when I am reading it's like there is no stress, and nothing really matters.

This chapter came along at a very good time, as these last few weeks are undoubtedly the most stressful for me. But you are completely right, these strategies are easier said than done. Personally, when I first find out about my stress causers I tend to overreact and even lose sleep. The best thing to do is think about managing your time as best you can and to be constantly telling yourself that you can conquer what you have ahead and think about the combined feelings of reward and relief. Thanks for having a post that is open to feedback great work.

Unfortunately I suffer from mild anxiety, so I know stress all too well. For me, the whole "mind over matter" does not work, as my mind seems to be my enemy; I can always turn a situation into something life-threatening in which I dramatize the situation (hypochondriac!). I think that the emotion-based coping method is is key for my situation. I have to remind myself when I get in these states to take a deep breath and to remember that it's "just life". Nothing has to be anything that you don't want it to be; it's all in your head, and you can turn a situation around just like that.

This is definitely a good topic to go over, especially with finals coming up right around the corner. I'm sure stress has been hitting the majority of us or definitely will in the coming weeks. I'm guilty of putting off my stress until it all builds up and i end up having a breakdown. I'd definitely do well to look over a few of the coping strategies, although i must say, they really are much easier said than done.

I found the coping with stress chapter very helpful. Especially with finals coming up! I also agree with zhoux637 when they said although they are helpful with dealing with stress it is often easier said then done. It is really hard to realize you are becoming overloaded with stress and you need to start using a strategy. I have found my outlet in running. I run almost everyday and I think it helps a lot with stress. I think the most important factor in coping with stress is finding something that works for you.

I really liked the stress chapter as well because I felt it was very relatable to real life as many of the chapters are though. But, this one stands out especially because stress is a huge aspect of college, with the constant pressures and changes of every day life. I think that if one actually utilizes coping techniques they actually may be very successful in relieving stress.

I was also in the moderately stressed category! I found it interesting because when I think about being stressed i wouldn't say I'm any more stressed than other people, but maybe I am! I found this chapter of the textbook very interesting because it was really easy to relate some of the topics to events in my real life! Great job with this blog!

Great Post, I like how you facilitated away for us readers to get involved. In terms of stress, I have my best coping strategy to be strenuous physical activity. When I have a lot of pent up stress, I will take off on a run, go lift weights, or play a sport. In my experience, there is no better to way to not only free your mind but take out frustrations in a healthy way!

I took the test and got "major stressed" which I completely agree with at this point in time. Some ways that I usually cope with stress is playing the piano or pounding out stress with gymnastics. It is a little tough to do those two things at this time. My other way to cope (which I can do here!) is just zone out, relax, and listen to music. Even when I do these things, I still have at least some stress. Like you said easier said than done. Also, an odd thing for myself, is I try to help others find positive light in their situations, but never my own. OHH Stress!