Say What?

PHONE.jpg

Text messaging has exploded over the last decode. From 2006-09, the amount of text messages sent and received went up 450%. Texting now dominates over phone calls, or even personal interaction altogether now. It's much more simple and a quicker way to communicate with each other. But anyone who has texted knows of on of its major woes, and that's the difficulty in reading emotions, as well as picking up non-verbal cues. These things can be very necessary to understand during conversations, and if misinterpreted, then many problems can arise. This is due to the fact that we take theses cues for granted, we think people know what we mean, and can understand the emotions we do or do not convey. Instead of portraying them non-verbally, we have to insert the cues themselves within the text message. A "haha" or "lol" shows that the person is joking or not serious about what was said. Without them, the meaning would take on a totally different one and cause a big mess. Texting may be an easier way to communicate, but it comes with risks, although they can be avoided. Just make sure the other person in the conversation will fully understand what you are saying, otherwise be ready to explain yourself.

This post is so true, there are many mistakes that are easily made that can send the person receiving the message right over the edge, and start a fight between the two communicating. Texting is a touchy subject and should be paid more attention to that one thinks, because if you send one thing wrong in a text it can mean something totally different then you had planned. I agree be very cautious when stating what you are trying to say over text.

I also agree that this post is true. Just the other day I was texting a friend and he said something kinda dramatic and I thought he was sarcastic and it turned out he was serious. Not being able to see someone's emotion can cause awkward moments and misunderstandings. I also agree to have someone take another look at what they are texting and make sure you say what you mean clearly.

I hate texting. It's convenient for quick questions and straightforward information, but I am awful at portraying the way I feel over a 140 character burst. I've learned the hard way that sarcasm does not bode well in a text message..

Texting has degraded our sense of communication. I hear people say all the time that they feel awkward talking on the phone. The skills of quickly responding to a question or comment have been lost as a result of texting. Texting has it place, mainly during trivial conversations. But in times of planning or strong emotional expressing talking face-to-face or phone calls are and should be the first-choice.

In China most young people text as their main form of communication, just like here. What's even worse for them is that when they text, they use pinyan to type out the Chinese characters. It's gotten to the point where many young Chinese people aren't learning the Chinese characters because of the shortcut way of communication on their cell phones.

I really enjoy this post because it is so true. Someone's mood can be completely portrayed in a text. I've noticed it very much. Having a girlfriend for over two years, and texting basically all day every day, you find that every little feeling someone has can be portrayed over texting, and myself and her have found ways to know exactly what is wrong over written text. But it doesn't have to be a couple together for 2 years to be able to read this... It's so easy to tell even when a friend is excited with a couple !!! or upset with context clues such as no ! or :(

I find myself to be more exaggerated over texting than I would be in normal conversation, or in an email or Facebook IM. I'm not sure why that is, but there is a certain ambiguity that happens over texting, as mentioned in your post, where emotions are vacant. For example, I use a lot of "lol", "haha" and ":)" in my texts to let the receiver know that I am being lighthearted about the topic or situation. Texting has taken over communication. For example, when you're about to go on a first date, it's likely that your date will send you a text to set the date up, a text to confirm he or she is at the location, and a text afterwards to say they "had a great time".

Your post was quite true. I feel texting has taken over every form of communication. It is kind of pathetic though, our grandparents did not even have cell phones, and they lived just fine. I know I would die if I did not have a cell phone. It is crazy how just in a few decades the technology has changed. People need to watch what they are texting though, and use "emoticons"so the person they text does not get the wrong interpretation.

As much as I hate to admit it, I was on the verizon website to pay my bill and I went over my usage and I saw that I go through about 5000 texts in a month. How does one even text that much?! Does that mean I send text about 180ish times a day. That's like 2 hours of my day that will never come back. I also agree that text messages are so ambiguous sometimes and its hard to tell if the person is joking or serious. In fact, I've gotten into several arguments with friends because we misunderstood the meaning of the text several times. Adding things like lol or the silly emoticon may lighten the mood but it does not justify mean text messages.