When all you know is a lie.

The famous love story, The Notebook, the portrays the tragic tale of how Alzheimer's disease affects the relationship of a once, passionately in love couple. Throughout the movie, Noah, is reading the story of their lives to Allie, his wife who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She comments on the story as if it was completely foreign, and didn't even realize until later on that they were the details of her life. Even after she realized, she seemed comprehensive for a short while, and then relapsed and forgot everything again, even the face of her husband. She will never again be able to fully recognize her husband or the faces of her children, who she treats like mere strangers.
Alzheimer's disease is a type of dementia that causes problems with memory, thinking and behavior. Symptoms usually develop slowly and get worse over time, becoming severe enough to interfere with daily tasks. It can worsen to the point where the individual loses the ability to carry a conversation and interact with their environment. There's currently no cure for Alzheimer's, but there are many medications to help temporarily slow the worsening of the disease and improve their quality of life. Alzheimer's is a serious disease that affects 1 in 8 older Americans and is the sixth-leading cause of death.
The severity of this condition is often not made aware to the public, and awareness should be spread through word of mouth as well as through the media. Awareness alone is a step closer to helping the victims of Alzheimer's

Alzheimer's is an interesting topic. I recently read that there is an estimated 5.1 million Americans that are said to be affected by Alzheimer's. This is astonishing, especially because we have yet to find a cure for this irreversible disease.

This a great post and a perfect way to spread awareness of the irreversible disease that causes much hardship not only do those directly effected by it, but also to their family members and friends who are forgetting by somebody they care so much about. I can only imagine how difficult it is to go through something like this. Here's hoping that the cure is soon to be found!

I definitely agree that as a society we need to promote Alzheimer's awareness. Part of the reason it is lacks promotion is probably due to the fact that it is a touchy subject for a lot of people who have been effected by it. In a lot of cases, Alzheimer's can be more detrimental to a family than a death. Just another thing learned in psychology that is extremely applicable to our lives.

The notebook is my favorite movie. I absolutely love it. I think the story plot is amazing. It tells the story of two young people falling in love, but like you also mentioned it shows the severity of Alzehimers and how it effects the patient, but also surrounding friends, family and caretakers. My grandma passed away this past summer and about a week before she died my sister and I were visiting her. My grandma has always been an influential part of my life. She was a second mother to me. We saw her almost everyday. However like I mentioned earlier about a week before she passed away I was visiting her and she had no idea who I was. She has known me for 20 years and she didn't remember who I was. It was horrible having someone who you love so much and who you know loves you not be able to recongize who you were. I agree with you that the notebook helps publize Alzheimers and it is important to spread awareness and continue research to cure this disease.