myU OneStop

Global Pediatrics blog header

Recently in International Adoption Category

Free Nutrition eLecture Resources By Dana Johnson

malnutritionDanaALPTalk.jpg

nutritionTalkDanaALP.jpg

Dana Johnson
has recorded two information-packed eLecture resources for the non-profit Adoption Learning Partners. Dr. Johnson's eLectures, "The First Doctor's Visit" and "Why Internationally Adopted Children are At Risk for Malnutrition", are part of a 3-part series of "Bite-sized Tips", and include downloadable PDF resources as well as the lecture recordings.

You can get all three eLectures free with registration at the Adoption Learning Partners website.

Dana Johnson Appears In Early Childhood Intervention Video

An interview with Dana Johnson appears this month in an Open Society Foundations video. He and other child development experts discuss the importance of family in a child's survival. Check out the accompanying article here.

From their website, "The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens." 

Eckerle Presents At MOFAS Conference

JudyMOFAS2013.jpg
Judy Eckerle, M.D.

IAC staff physician, Judith Eckerle, along with University of Minnesota researchers, Jeffery Wozniak, & Anita Fuglestad, presented a session, "The Role of Nutrition in FASD: Implications for Treatment" on November 14, 2013, as part of the 2013 Minnesota Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome annual conference.

Kroupina Quoted in The Star Toronto

screengrabTheStarToronto.jpg
screen grab of The Star story

Maria Kroupina was quoted in this week's edition of The Star, a Toronto news publication, discussing the effects of leaving a child in an institution for too long a period of time. 

Dr. Kroupina Talks Attachment

lifelinesSummer2013coverscreenshot.jpg
screen grab of LifeLines Summer 2013 cover

Maria Kroupina provided information about parenting and attachment with internationally adopted children in the Summer 2013 edition of Bethany Christian Services's publication, LifeLines

View the article for free here (flip to page 12)

Dr. Kroupina says, "The initial transition time post-adoption is a sensitive period when parents benefit from professional help to understand their child's emotional needs, so the parents can, in turn help their child develop secure attachment relationships. We know that positive changes in ...are possible even many years post-adoption."

Also be sure to check out the article on p. 24 by Judy Eckerle, "Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders and Adopted Children".

IAC Strong Showing At ICAR4

International Adoption Clinic faculty presented research at the 2013 Fourth International Conference on Adoption Research, July 7-11, in Bilbao, Spain.

Full titles of the academic contributions are located below the pictures.

KroupinaICAR4WEB.jpg
Dr. Kroupina delivers a symposia, "Predictors of Neurodevelopmental Status in Young Children Living in Institutional Care in Kazakhstan"

JudyICAR4WEB.jpg
Dr. Eckerle stands beside her poster, "Comparison of Neurocognitive and Growth Outcomes of Internationally Adopted Children With Features of Prenatal Alcohol Exposure". 

Read more about the conference

M. Kroupina
, S. Vang (University of Minnesota), M.M. Aidjanov (Kazakhastan
Academy of Nutrition), M.K. Georgieff (University of Minnesota), M.O.
Hearst (St. Catherine University), J.H. Himes, D. Johnson, B.S. Miller
(University of Minnesota), A.S. Syzdykova, T.S. Sharmanov (Kazakhastan
Academy of Nutrition) & Spoon Foundation Research Team (University of
Minnesota): Predictors of neurodevelopment status in young children living
in institutional care in Kazakhstan (Th8)

J.K. Eckerle, M.G. Kroupina, A.J. Fuglestad, J. Wozniak, B.S. Miller, A, Petryk & D.
Johnson
(University of Minnesota): Comparison of neurocognitive and
growth outcomes of internationally adopted children with features of
prenatal alcohol exposure (T43)

M.G. Kroupina, J.K. Eckerle
, A.J. Fuglestad (University of Minnesota), S. Alleleijn
(University of Maastricht), J.H. Himes, B.S. Miller, A. Petryk & D. Johnson
(University of Minnesota): Predictors of neurocognitive outcomes post early
childhood adversity (T9)

Growth and development in internationally adopted children (T7-T11)
Co- convenors: D. Johnson (University of Minnesota) & J.Palacios (University of
Seville)

Kroupina Testifies on Behalf of Russian Orphans

KroupinaMariaWEB.jpg
Maria Kroupina, Ph.D.

Maria Kroupina was asked to testify before the National Press Club in mid-May, urged U.S. and Russian lawmakers to act quickly to resolve several cases of in-process adoptions of Russian orphans. Advocating for both the children and their would-be adoptive families, she pronounced the ban as "damaging to a child's life." 

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 2.36.48 PM.png
Maria Kroupina, Ph.D.

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 2.33.00 PM.png
Cynthia R. Howard, M.D.

Drs. Cindy Howard and Maria Kroupina delivered Pediatric Grand Rounds on May 16, 2013, at Children's Hospitals and Clinics of St. Paul. Their talk was, "Medical Assessment of the Newly Arrived Internationally Adopted Child".  

View the talk at:
http://www.remotocom.com/chc/05162013/

Or watch the talk and take a post-test to receive CME credit at:
https://www.childrenshc.org/CME/Courses/CourseList.asp
KatherineMatthewsEckerleWEB.jpg
Katherine Matthews and Judith Eckerle

Minnetonka high school student, Katherine Matthews, completed a six-month internship experience with Judith Eckerle, MD, as part of her school district's Honors Mentor Connection program. Katherine explains:

With Dr. Eckerle's guidance I gathered data, wrote, and created a poster for my research paper titled, "Health of Children Considered for Adoption from China". I meticulously combed through deidentified medical records of 105 patients who have been seen in the International Adoption Clinic. I recorded each child's age, sex, birth weight, and whether or not they had special needs (long-term health issues). From there, the data was statistically analyzed to provide percentages of incidence of each of these groups of health issues.

We now can answer parents' and social workers' questions about what they might expect to see medically from children adopted from China, and how many children usually have a certain condition.

In order to keep track of the complex vocabulary used in what I was researching, I made an appendix of over 55 medical terms unique to the referrals that the Adoption Clinic usually sees from China. This list will be available as a reference for residents to use during their time at the IAC and is complete with case numbers and additional references for further information if necessary.

View Katherine's poster here

Says Katherine of her experience, "I'm very lucky to have had Dr. Eckerle as my mentor for this program; she's been a wonderful influence and a real inspiration for me."

2013 Maastricht University Research Intern Arrives In Minneapolis

lizaBeachWEB.jpg
Liza Toemen in South Africa in 2012, where she was completing a clinical clerkship in gynaecology & obstetrics. In the background are penguins on Boulders Beach, Simonstown.

For the past 4 years, Global Pediatrics faculty, Maria Kroupina, has provided research mentorship to physicians in training from Maastricht University, Netherlands. Today's entry is a guest post from our 2013 research intern, Liza Toemen. In her words:

"My name is Liza Toemen, I'm a final year medical student from Maastricht University, The Netherlands. I was born in Oirschot, a town near Eindhoven in the south of the Netherlands. A long time ago I decided I wanted to become a doctor, and luckily for me things went as I had dreamed.

"I went off to Maastricht to study, a place at the most southern point of the country.

lizaSoccerWEB.jpg
Taking care of children at a children's institution in Mfulene, South Africa

"During my medical bachelor years I had the opportunity to do some volunteering with Aviva, a South-African organization. I spend 4 weeks working in a children's home in Mfulene, one of Cape Town's townships. We took care of about 30 children, mostly playing with but also bathing, feeding and preparing food for these children, some of whom had no permanent foster or adoptive family to go home to. Afterwards I went traveling in South Africa. I liked this so much that I grabbed every opportunity during my masters years to go abroad. 

"My first internship was an elective of 10 weeks, which I decided to do in paediatrics in Mulago Hospital; Kampala, Uganda. During my stay I also visited a hospital in Gulu, in the north of Uganda, a very impressive experience, since it was my first practical experience in the hospital. 

"After this internship my normal internships at all the different hospital specializations started. Most of those I did in the Netherlands, but I did ophthalmology in Belgium and gynaecology and obstetrics in Cape Town (yes, again Cape Town, you can never see too much of South Africa!)

"In the Dutch medical curriculum you do 3 bachelor years, mainly theory and 3 master years, mainly practical. The last year of the masters degree consists of 18 weeks' clinical internship and 18 weeks of research.

"I've just finished the clinical part in March--18 weeks on a general pediatric ward of a middle-sized hospital. The research part is why I have come to the University of Minnesota. 

"I'll be doing 18 weeks of research at the U of M and helping Dr. Kroupina in the Development and Transition Clinic. I'm assisting with data analysis on her Kazakhstan study and will also write a paper. Later, I will also spend time on the growth study. 

"My goals I'll finish halfway August and when I get home a couple weeks after that I hope to be able to call myself a MD."