myU OneStop

Global Pediatrics blog header

Recently in Maastricht University Program Category

Toemen Update

foto-lizaWEB.jpg
An update from Maastricht University guest scholar, Liza Toemen:
The last couple of weeks I have been busy working on multiple projects, to get the most out of my 18-week internship. 
I have been helping Maria (Kroupina) in the clinic. This experience is teaching me about development and attachment. Something we don't spend a lot of time on in our medical curriculum. I help by doing behavioral observations while Maria is talking to parents, I get to observe neurodevelopmental testing, and sometimes I get to observe therapy sessions. We usually spend 2-3 mornings in the clinic.
The rest of my days are filled with research. Currently I'm working on two projects. The first one is "Predictors Of Neurodevelopmental Status In Young Children Living In Institutional Care In Kazakhstan".  We're looking at growth and development. 
The other project is the "Predictors of cognitive development in internationally adopted children from Eastern Europe". Results of both studies will be presented on the International Conference on Adoption Research (ICAR4) next week. We finished making the PowerPoint presentations for the conference, so the next couple of weeks I will have time to work on the paper for the Kazakhstan project.

2013 Maastricht University Research Intern Arrives In Minneapolis

lizaBeachWEB.jpg
Liza Toemen in South Africa in 2012, where she was completing a clinical clerkship in gynaecology & obstetrics. In the background are penguins on Boulders Beach, Simonstown.

For the past 4 years, Global Pediatrics faculty, Maria Kroupina, has provided research mentorship to physicians in training from Maastricht University, Netherlands. Today's entry is a guest post from our 2013 research intern, Liza Toemen. In her words:

"My name is Liza Toemen, I'm a final year medical student from Maastricht University, The Netherlands. I was born in Oirschot, a town near Eindhoven in the south of the Netherlands. A long time ago I decided I wanted to become a doctor, and luckily for me things went as I had dreamed.

"I went off to Maastricht to study, a place at the most southern point of the country.

lizaSoccerWEB.jpg
Taking care of children at a children's institution in Mfulene, South Africa

"During my medical bachelor years I had the opportunity to do some volunteering with Aviva, a South-African organization. I spend 4 weeks working in a children's home in Mfulene, one of Cape Town's townships. We took care of about 30 children, mostly playing with but also bathing, feeding and preparing food for these children, some of whom had no permanent foster or adoptive family to go home to. Afterwards I went traveling in South Africa. I liked this so much that I grabbed every opportunity during my masters years to go abroad. 

"My first internship was an elective of 10 weeks, which I decided to do in paediatrics in Mulago Hospital; Kampala, Uganda. During my stay I also visited a hospital in Gulu, in the north of Uganda, a very impressive experience, since it was my first practical experience in the hospital. 

"After this internship my normal internships at all the different hospital specializations started. Most of those I did in the Netherlands, but I did ophthalmology in Belgium and gynaecology and obstetrics in Cape Town (yes, again Cape Town, you can never see too much of South Africa!)

"In the Dutch medical curriculum you do 3 bachelor years, mainly theory and 3 master years, mainly practical. The last year of the masters degree consists of 18 weeks' clinical internship and 18 weeks of research.

"I've just finished the clinical part in March--18 weeks on a general pediatric ward of a middle-sized hospital. The research part is why I have come to the University of Minnesota. 

"I'll be doing 18 weeks of research at the U of M and helping Dr. Kroupina in the Development and Transition Clinic. I'm assisting with data analysis on her Kazakhstan study and will also write a paper. Later, I will also spend time on the growth study. 

"My goals I'll finish halfway August and when I get home a couple weeks after that I hope to be able to call myself a MD."

Visiting Scholar From Netherlands

SanneAlleleijn.jpg

Global Pediatrics welcomes sixth-year medical student, Sanne Alleleijn (pictured), a visiting scholar who will be with us through April 2012.

Sanne writes:

I am a current student at Maastricht University, the Netherlands. Part of the final year of medical training in my program is dedicated to completion of a research internship, and I chose to do this research internship at the University of Minnesota under the preceptorship of Dr. Maria Kroupina. I will be studying growth and nutrition in relation to developmental status in internationally adopted children.

I'll graduate from medical school in August 2012.

Visiting Researcher

Meet Bart-Libbe Kornelis, visiting medical student at Maastricht University (Maastricht, The Netherlands). Bart is in his sixth and final year of medical school. In the Netherlands, the final year is broken up into two parts--a medical participation segment and an academic research segment. From mid-October 2009 to mid-March 2010, Bart is working on an academic research internship of sorts through the Center for Neurobehavioral Development and is being mentored by the Adoption Medicine Program's Maria Kroupina.

bart-libbey.JPG