Director Gabaccia's message for Fall 2011
A Heart Connects Us - Digitizing Immigrant Letters
Minnesota 2.0 - How immigrant and refugee youth write on Facebook
Sheeko - Oral histories with Somali youth
Supporting students and communities in heritage preservation
University courses for Fall 2011 - IHRC & Global REM List

Donna R. Gabaccia, Director, Immigration History Research Center

The IHRC earned a notice in the July 25 New York Times "EducationTimes" Supplement: Normally, that's cause for celebration here in Andersen Library.

Unfortunately, this time the IHRC (along with other research centers at the University of Minnesota) was noted as part of a supposedly disturbing trend--the proliferation of educational administrative costs--that (according to authors Andrew Hacker and Claudia Dreifus) deflects resources from education.

By Erika Lee

As someone who became a historian after doing an oral history with my grandparents while I was still in college, I still love reading about the experiences of everyday immigrants and refugees and their children. They provide a window into the contemporary issues and trends in immigrant America.

What I'm Reading

By Anna-Maria Nykänen

Even though many people think that theories are useless in our everyday lives and that they just serve the interests of the academics, theories do matter. Theories about immigration policy are no exception.

What I'm Reading

By Kristen Lynn

Even after reading Samuel Huntington's cautionary "The Hispanic Challenge," an excerpt from his 2004 book Who Are We: The Challenges to America's National Identity, I am confident that the dominant American identity is here to stay.

What I'm Reading

By Molly Illes

First-hand accounts like Enrique's story, told in There's No Jose Here: Following the Hidden Lives of Mexican Immigrants (Nation Books 2006), by journalist Gabriel Thompson, can humanize the issue of immigration for legislators and the broader community.

By Walker Bosch

That is the message of Phillipe Legraine in his interview with the New York Time's Freakonomics blog. Moral viewpoints drive policy debates across a wide spectrum of issue areas, and immigration is no different.

By Kelly M. Anderson

Plead guilty and the U.S. government will not charge you with the felony of identity theft, but rather offer a "bargain" of 6 months in prison followed by deportation. Plead not guilty, request a trial, wait several months in jail for a trial, and then face the prospect of 2 years in prison. . . followed by deportation.

What I'm Reading

By Minna Rainio

Even though I am a visiting professor at the University of Minnesota, and don't really think of myself as an immigrant, I find the cultural dynamics described in fiction written by immigrants to be very familiar.

What I'm Reading

By Beatriz Carrillo, MN 2.0 Project Team

In the Minnesota 2.0 project I have been cataloging Facebook groups that relate to a Mexican or Mexican American identity. I am interested in how the media is used by different groups of people and as a part of this project I have learned how youth use Facebook and how non-Mexicans view Mexico.