Recently in Global Migration Category

By Walker Bosch

That is the message of Phillipe Legraine in his interview with the New York Time's Freakonomics blog. Moral viewpoints drive policy debates across a wide spectrum of issue areas, and immigration is no different.

What I'm Reading

By Minna Rainio

Even though I am a visiting professor at the University of Minnesota, and don't really think of myself as an immigrant, I find the cultural dynamics described in fiction written by immigrants to be very familiar.

What I'm Reading

By Beatriz Carrillo, MN 2.0 Project Team

In the Minnesota 2.0 project I have been cataloging Facebook groups that relate to a Mexican or Mexican American identity. I am interested in how the media is used by different groups of people and as a part of this project I have learned how youth use Facebook and how non-Mexicans view Mexico.

What I'm Reading

By Suk Her, MN 2.0 Project Team

As part of my research with Minnesota 2.0, I have been examining and documenting Hmong Facebook groups and fan pages. Despite being Hmong myself, I am learning more things about Hmong youth identity.

What I'm Reading

By Salma Hussein and Mustafa Jumale

The "Minnesota 2.0" project has allowed us to look at Facebook from a different standpoint, and analyze the complexity within it. We are able to see that young immigrant youth of Somali descent are actively engaging in sharing their stories via social networking sites such as Facebook.

By Donna R. Gabaccia, Director, Immigration History Research Center

In debates about immigration, Americans prefer watery metaphors--of waves or streams of migrants washing into the United States. Maybe that's why so many imagine that their government can simply "turn off the tap." World historians explain why such faucets don't always work.

By Rachel Ida Buff, Associate Professor in History and Coordinator, Comparative Ethnic Studies, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee

When I speak to Jewish audiences about the contemporary politics of immigration, I often lean on the historical parallels between contemporary migrations and Jewish experience of diaspora, in which Jews have so often been the strangers.

What I'm Reading

By Johanna Leinonen, IHRC Graduate Research Assistant and Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of History

Are Americans ever emigrants or immigrants? As part of my dissertation project, I have been reading about Americans who have opted to leave their home country and make their home abroad.

What I'm Reading

By Donna Gabaccia, Director, Immigration History Research Center

For me, summer reading means escape, largely through fiction that is as unrelated as possible to my scholarly work. Imagine my surprise then when I opened two new novels pulled randomly from the shelves of the Minneapolis Public Library. Both featured main characters who were very much "on the move."

By Andy Urban, PhD candidate in History at the University of Minnesota. IHRC Affiliated Faculty

Although the media coverage leading up to this year’s St. Patrick’s Day has highlighted how Catholic leaders have tried to make sure that the holiday’s festive nature and secular activities do not interfere with start of the more somber occasion of Holy Week, those interested in immigration history might think about the significance of ethnic holidays in relationship to the larger story of migration and assimilation.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Global Migration category.

Immigrant Rights is the next category.