Recently in Immigration after 1965 Category

By Erika Lee

As someone who became a historian after doing an oral history with my grandparents while I was still in college, I still love reading about the experiences of everyday immigrants and refugees and their children. They provide a window into the contemporary issues and trends in immigrant America.

What I'm Reading

By Kristen Lynn

Even after reading Samuel Huntington's cautionary "The Hispanic Challenge," an excerpt from his 2004 book Who Are We: The Challenges to America's National Identity, I am confident that the dominant American identity is here to stay.

What I'm Reading

By Molly Illes

First-hand accounts like Enrique's story, told in There's No Jose Here: Following the Hidden Lives of Mexican Immigrants (Nation Books 2006), by journalist Gabriel Thompson, can humanize the issue of immigration for legislators and the broader community.

By Walker Bosch

That is the message of Phillipe Legraine in his interview with the New York Time's Freakonomics blog. Moral viewpoints drive policy debates across a wide spectrum of issue areas, and immigration is no different.

By Kelly M. Anderson

Plead guilty and the U.S. government will not charge you with the felony of identity theft, but rather offer a "bargain" of 6 months in prison followed by deportation. Plead not guilty, request a trial, wait several months in jail for a trial, and then face the prospect of 2 years in prison. . . followed by deportation.

What I'm Reading

By Minna Rainio

Even though I am a visiting professor at the University of Minnesota, and don't really think of myself as an immigrant, I find the cultural dynamics described in fiction written by immigrants to be very familiar.

What I'm Reading

By Beatriz Carrillo, MN 2.0 Project Team

In the Minnesota 2.0 project I have been cataloging Facebook groups that relate to a Mexican or Mexican American identity. I am interested in how the media is used by different groups of people and as a part of this project I have learned how youth use Facebook and how non-Mexicans view Mexico.

What I'm Reading

By Suk Her, MN 2.0 Project Team

As part of my research with Minnesota 2.0, I have been examining and documenting Hmong Facebook groups and fan pages. Despite being Hmong myself, I am learning more things about Hmong youth identity.

What I'm Reading

By Salma Hussein and Mustafa Jumale

The "Minnesota 2.0" project has allowed us to look at Facebook from a different standpoint, and analyze the complexity within it. We are able to see that young immigrant youth of Somali descent are actively engaging in sharing their stories via social networking sites such as Facebook.

What I'm Reading

By Andy Wilhide and Justin Schell

Work on the Minnesota 2.0 project is a very different example of "What I'm Reading." Begun in September of 2009, Minnesota 2.0 aims to ...

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Immigration after 1965 category.

Immigrant Rights is the previous category.

Immigration and Culture is the next category.