Recently in Immigration and Education Category

Donna R. Gabaccia, Director, Immigration History Research Center

The IHRC earned a notice in the July 25 New York Times "EducationTimes" Supplement: Normally, that's cause for celebration here in Andersen Library.

Unfortunately, this time the IHRC (along with other research centers at the University of Minnesota) was noted as part of a supposedly disturbing trend--the proliferation of educational administrative costs--that (according to authors Andrew Hacker and Claudia Dreifus) deflects resources from education.

By Erika Lee

As someone who became a historian after doing an oral history with my grandparents while I was still in college, I still love reading about the experiences of everyday immigrants and refugees and their children. They provide a window into the contemporary issues and trends in immigrant America.

What I'm Reading

By Suk Her, MN 2.0 Project Team

As part of my research with Minnesota 2.0, I have been examining and documenting Hmong Facebook groups and fan pages. Despite being Hmong myself, I am learning more things about Hmong youth identity.

By Nahid Khan, Ph.D candidate, School of Journalism and Mass Communication

Accuracy, balance, completeness, and fairness are major values emphasized in news coverage; still, the field of journalism struggles with the ideas and ideals of diversity.

By Molly Rojas Collins, Senior Teaching Specialist, Post-Secondary Teaching & Learning

Immigrant and refugee students face a challenging path at the University – a place that often treats their multilingual and multiculturalism as a deficit.

By Jeff Manuel, PhD candidate in History at the University of Minnesota. IHRC Affiliated Faculty

As Donna Gabaccia recently pointed out on this site, much of the concern over immigrant education in the U.S. is aimed at teenage high school and college students (e.g. the Dream Act) and ignores the many thousands of younger immigrant children attending mandatory k-12 education. How and what should these younger students be taught? Teachers of younger children—including young immigrants and the children of immigrants—face daunting challenges as they navigate both the educational and social needs of these children and mandatory public education’s historical imperative to Americanize immigrants. Yet in spite of these challenges the elementary classroom is also fertile terrain, where instructors are crafting innovative approaches to teaching young people about their world, no matter where they or their parents were born. In honor of Mother’s Day, I’d like to share one such story about, well, my mom.

Dreaming in English?

By Donna R. Gabaccia, Professor of History and Director, Immigration History Research Center

These days, the “Dream Act? dominates news coverage of immigrant education issues. But while legislators debate the pros and cons of offering in-state college tuition to young immigrants without papers (as ten states already do), educators around the nation face the more mundane, everyday tasks of educating the millions of children--in primary and secondary schools—whose education firmly remains a right. What are their concerns?

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Immigration and Education category.

Immigration and Diversity is the previous category.

Immigration and Entertainment is the next category.