Recently in Immigration and Politics Category

What I'm Reading

By Anna-Maria Nykänen

Even though many people think that theories are useless in our everyday lives and that they just serve the interests of the academics, theories do matter. Theories about immigration policy are no exception.

What I'm Reading

By Kristen Lynn

Even after reading Samuel Huntington's cautionary "The Hispanic Challenge," an excerpt from his 2004 book Who Are We: The Challenges to America's National Identity, I am confident that the dominant American identity is here to stay.

What I'm Reading

By Molly Illes

First-hand accounts like Enrique's story, told in There's No Jose Here: Following the Hidden Lives of Mexican Immigrants (Nation Books 2006), by journalist Gabriel Thompson, can humanize the issue of immigration for legislators and the broader community.

By Walker Bosch

That is the message of Phillipe Legraine in his interview with the New York Time's Freakonomics blog. Moral viewpoints drive policy debates across a wide spectrum of issue areas, and immigration is no different.

By Kelly M. Anderson

Plead guilty and the U.S. government will not charge you with the felony of identity theft, but rather offer a "bargain" of 6 months in prison followed by deportation. Plead not guilty, request a trial, wait several months in jail for a trial, and then face the prospect of 2 years in prison. . . followed by deportation.

By Donna R. Gabaccia, Director, Immigration History Research Center

In debates about immigration, Americans prefer watery metaphors--of waves or streams of migrants washing into the United States. Maybe that's why so many imagine that their government can simply "turn off the tap." World historians explain why such faucets don't always work.

By Rachel Ida Buff, Associate Professor in History and Coordinator, Comparative Ethnic Studies, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee

When I speak to Jewish audiences about the contemporary politics of immigration, I often lean on the historical parallels between contemporary migrations and Jewish experience of diaspora, in which Jews have so often been the strangers.

What I'm Reading

By Johanna Leinonen, IHRC Graduate Research Assistant and Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of History

Are Americans ever emigrants or immigrants? As part of my dissertation project, I have been reading about Americans who have opted to leave their home country and make their home abroad.

By Halyna Myroniuk, IHRC Senior Assistant Curator

Many Ukrainians who came to the United States after the Second World War as Displaced Persons were survivors of Holodomor, the great famine of 1932-1933. Some came as children with memories; others heard about it from their parents or the elders in their respective communities.

By Matteo Pretelli, Fulbright Scholar Researcher at the IHRC
The Latino vote will be very influential in the election for the next President of the United States. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/us/politics/10hispanics.html; http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20080303/young-latino-voters-on-the-rise.htm; http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/07/us/07immig.html?scp=13&sq=immigration&st=nyt

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Immigration and Politics category.

Immigration and Policies is the previous category.

Immigration and Population is the next category.