Recently in Immigration in Minnesota Category

By Erika Lee

As someone who became a historian after doing an oral history with my grandparents while I was still in college, I still love reading about the experiences of everyday immigrants and refugees and their children. They provide a window into the contemporary issues and trends in immigrant America.

What I'm Reading

By Minna Rainio

Even though I am a visiting professor at the University of Minnesota, and don't really think of myself as an immigrant, I find the cultural dynamics described in fiction written by immigrants to be very familiar.

What I'm Reading

By Suk Her, MN 2.0 Project Team

As part of my research with Minnesota 2.0, I have been examining and documenting Hmong Facebook groups and fan pages. Despite being Hmong myself, I am learning more things about Hmong youth identity.

What I'm Reading

By Salma Hussein and Mustafa Jumale

The "Minnesota 2.0" project has allowed us to look at Facebook from a different standpoint, and analyze the complexity within it. We are able to see that young immigrant youth of Somali descent are actively engaging in sharing their stories via social networking sites such as Facebook.

What I'm Reading

By Andy Wilhide and Justin Schell

Work on the Minnesota 2.0 project is a very different example of "What I'm Reading." Begun in September of 2009, Minnesota 2.0 aims to ...

What I'm Reading

By Kitty Gogins, Chair of the Roseville Area School Board

Refugee's stories have been a large part of my reading since I decided to write down my parents' refugee journey. Of the dozens I've read there are two that I would particularly recommend: German Boy: A Child in War (by Wolfgang W. E. Samuel) and The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir (by Kao Kalia Yang).

Exploitation of a Tragedy

By Katherine Fennelly, Professor at the Humphrey H. Institute of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota, IHRC Affiliate

A tragic traffic accident this week has provided yet another opportunity for an outpouring of anger directed toward undocumented immigrants.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Immigration in Minnesota category.

Immigration Exhibits is the previous category.

Immigration in the Media is the next category.