« | Main | Me. Frustrated. »

No New News

Never before have I been so pissed at the design of a form of the media. Mmm I lied.. once before. When Anna Nicole Smith died.

2326734410_6cac6c8078_m.jpg

This is the face I see at 5:00 am on the TV while I'm at the gym. It's the face I see at night before I go to bed. It's there during lunch.. and I'm pretty sure it's still there when I'm sleeping. I'm talking about 151201628_6f68ce9992.jpg (Thanks for the pic bengoc!)

News [nooz, nyooz]
–noun (usually used with a singular verb)
1. a report of a recent event; intelligence; information: His family has had no news of his whereabouts for months.
2. the presentation of a report on recent or new events in a newspaper or other periodical or on radio or television.
3. such reports taken collectively; information reported: There's good news tonight.
4. a person, thing, or event considered as a choice subject for journalistic treatment; newsworthy material.

I actually really don't care what the official definition of "news" is.. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Spitzer and his "call girl". News or not.. how important is it REALLY? He did what he did.. he's stepping down.. get over it and let his family live their life! Let him pay the consequences, and the rest of "us" can MOVE ON!

This situation really bothers me because there are so many things going on in this world that actually ARE news worthy causes. It would take days.. weeks.. months.. even longer - I don't know - to cover all the truly important things that are happening in our world. Instead, CNN, what I would typically consider a reliable and worthy news source, decides to run a 24/7 report on every single detail you could squeeze out of Spitzer or Anna Nicole's life.

What is more beneficial to the knowledge of the general public: Learning about the outstanding child mortality rates around the world, and what we here in the US can do to help -OR- learning that Spitzer's high-priced prostitute wrote on her MySpace page that she "left a broken home at 17."

art.dupre.myspace.jpg

People watch TV. Whether or not they actually care about what's on doesn't really matter, because chances are the majority is going to continue watching anyways. I wish I could get our Millennium Goal on an episode of Anderson Cooper 360, or get someone to talk about child mortality with Larry King. People would see, people would hear, and people would listen. Maybe if we could get some actual NEWS on the damn news this week we could get somewhere. Then I'd chill out.