« Already? | Main

el último

Critical Analysis (whatever that’s supposed to mean)

mdg6_xl.gif

Goal 6: Combat HIV/Aids, malaria, and other diseases

I feel like the group that presented goal 6 in our section did a very good job. The order in which they had their presentation laid out was (for the most part) very logical, and they made good transitions into the following sections. I thought the section about culture should have come before difficulties, since there are a lot of cultural aspects that cause difficulties, but that’s not really a big issue.

They had some really interesting facts that I didn’t know about. For example, South Africa (the region they were focusing on) has the highest accounts of rape. There are also eleven languages spoken in the country, causing cultural and ethnic barriers, and making distributing information more difficult.

It’s difficult for me to believe that the ABC organization (or any organization, or corporation) is doing the most they can possibly do. I know that is completely subjective, and it would be unrealistic to expect that every single cent brought in to an organization would go directly to the population they’re serving, but it is still frustrating. I know there needs to be a budget to pay staff and spread the word about certain programs and campaigns, but it makes me sad when I see an organization boasting that 10% of money donated goes directly to the country (or cause, or research, etc.).

mdg4_xl.gif

Goal 4: Reduce Child Mortality
All of the Honors presentations were amazing, but the one I chose to analyze was Goal 4. I chose their presentation because it is the same goal that our group focused on, and I thought that since I already had knowledge on the topic, it would give me something to compare to.

It seriously sucks that the video these girls made couldn’t play during class, because I’m thinking not everyone will remember to watch it on their own. The presentation was powerful, but the video really engrained the message. I have no idea how they made that video, but it was well put together and really thought provoking. Why didn’t our group think of a video?!

I really liked that they highlighted more than one organization, and I especially was happy to see Feed My Starving Children show up. They’re a local organization that is very close to my heart, and I’ve volunteered with them many times.

It was just as sad to see the statistics for Sierra Leone’s child and infant mortality rates as it was researching Cambodia’s. This is an issue that really needs more action to be taken.