Windows 7 not validating

Run these items from an admin command prompt to force Windows 7 to validate the license:

slmgr /skms kms.oit.umn.edu
slmgr /ato

Notes: Office 2013 not validating

Resolution notes:
> The KMS server is currently online and functioning properly. If Office
> 2013 is not activating, please follow these steps:
>
> For 64 bit Office:
> 1. Make sure the computer has connectivity with WIRED network.
> 2. Open Command Prompt by right clicking and running as *Administrator*.
> 3. Type: cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\ospp.vbs"
> /act
> 4. Type: cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\ospp.vbs"
> /sethst:kms.oit.umn.edu
>
> For 32 bit Office:
> 3. Type: cscript.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
> Office\Office15\ospp.vbs" /act
> 4. Type: cscript.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
> Office\Office15\ospp.vbs" /sethst:kms.oit.umn.edu
>
> If the computer is not on campus, it will be necessary to connect to the
> VPN before attempting these steps. If this does not resolve the issue,
> please let us know.

turn off Win7 auto login

Press Windows R. A command box should appear. Type control userpasswords2 and hit the enter key. This should display the User Accounts screen in Windows 7. Select the user account in the main table and uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". A click on the Apply button will open the Automatically Log On window. Enter the password and confirm it to add the password to the system so that it does not need to be entered during logon.

Of course the reverse of this (putting a check in "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer") fixes it for me.

Alternative way to get to the same place: Start > then type netplwiz

From website: http://superuser.com/questions/21617/turn-off-automatic-login-with-windows-7

Apple Certified Tech, Bookstore

Contacted bookstore on this and they sent me to M Tech. I was told 1-2 days for parts replacement. 3-5 days if it has to be sent to Apple for repair. They try to fix it first and then send to Apple if they can't resolve it. They are located in the Coffman Bookstore. You don't need to make an appointment, just show up with the device.

Configure a Mac - manual install

Go through initial screen to setup the computer and use 'oitadmin' as the user account.
Register Mac Address
Enter the computer name in System Preferences, Sharing, and then OIT+asset tag number (ex. OIT201612345)

Install the following:
Symantec and updates
Office - must go to Security& Privacy and allow installs from Anywhere
Firefox
Chrome
Flash Player
Java
Shockwave
Silverlight
oitadmin account
local user admin account
Enable remote management to make remote assistance easier
local user account
For laptops: FileVault 2

To configure FileVault go to System preferences
Select Security & Privacy
Go to the FileVault tab
Click on the lock (lower left corner
Enter admin account login and password
Select Turn On FileVault
Select the buttons for 'Enable User...' for all computer accounts
Select Continue
Go to the path listed below, and save the recovery key to the spreadsheet
Select Do Not store the recovery key with Apple
Select Continue
Select Restart
Log back in as admin
Go to System preferences
Select Power options and turn off the option for putting computer hard drive to sleep until encryption done, then turn it back on
Go the Security & Privacy tab - my personal preference is the have the computer completely encryption before bringing it out to the user.

Path for a mac: smb://files.umn.edu/oit/Services/CMS-DesktopSupport/Administrative/Encryption Keys/Mac/Mac Encryption Keys - Filevault.xlsx

Purchasing inside IT (originally OIT area)

Today I learned I am making the purchasing process for our IT area harder than it needs to be. I must wrap my head around our process, and in some ways, forget how I did it before. I don't need to worry about quoting things out to the level I did before. My type A personality definitely needs to relax a bit. :-) Thankfully, my colleague Brandon has been very patient and helpful while I learn this process.

If the item needed is not standard, than email the user requesting they have their manager email me back with approval. For example: HDMI to DVI cable order for a Mac, only $6 but not a standard item for us to order.

Mac items - User requesting Superdrive, DVI/VGA adapters, ethernet adapter, Thunderbolt cable, Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, external 1TB HD, 24" monitor with DVI/VGA/HDMI/RGB connections and 5yr warr, 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display, keyboard, mouse, Applecare and 2nd 85W MagSafe 2 power adapter.
- If an order is considered 'reasonable' and it is items we normally keep in stock, than it is ok to order. On this order because of the dollar amount, email the user requesting their line managers contact info. Call Line Manager to verify this order is ok. Ex: Inc296186. Cost will be around $3500. Order considered reasonable for this user to do his job.

Installing Bootcamp Fail

First, make sure FileVault hasn't been turned on. If it has, you will need to remove it before starting Bootcamp installation.

Much frustration and waiting as I try to install this for the first time. Make sure you have a Windows 7 DVD, and really first, make sure you know where office DVD's are kept. Research problem online, watch 2 youtube videos, go through steps in manual, find out can't save windows to my partition because it isn't NTFS ?how that happened, cancel out of Windows install, and shut down, disconnect devices and restart, find out there is no longer a bootable device...finally go home after finding the new computer responses badly to direction...contact colleague tomorrow. At least this is a brand new machine so no data lost. So much wasted time... Sigh....

To be continued...

12/27/12 - Yesterday, in the battle between human and machine, the machine won. Today, the machine was sent back to Apple because of bad hardware. Human wins the war! Humans everywhere rejoice!

Request for AD Admin Account

User needs to fill out the request form:
z.umn.edu/itadminrequest

- The users supervisor must approve the request
- The more info area is for things like computer name, S/N, PC vs. Mac, Asset Tag, etc
- This gives the user an admin account setup like our service requests, oit-x500

Need new file share, server access

Requests on PS file share, server access, home directory - should assign the incident to Computer Management Deliver (AD) and put myself on the watchlist

- Craig, Jeff and Aaron

New Equipment/Software Requests

To request new software or equipment fill out the following form:
z.umn.edu/itequipmentrequest

The above link is a shortcut to our web page. The person who approves the funds often puts in the request for the departments. I am expected to talk to Nate or Mark on items and then put in my own request. The Coordinators for each area often put in the requests for their specific areas, work up quotes and submit things to Inventory to be purchased.