Eye on Earth Blog homepage.

Valuing Valuing Nature

nature.jpgLooks like we're starting to get it.

In a feature story in its Global Edition Science Section this week, the New York Times showcased the work of ecologist Gretchen Daily, IonE fellow Stephen Polasky  and their Natural Capital Project colleagues. The team, hailing from the U of M, Stanford, the World Wildlife Fund and The Nature Conservancy, has developed a  tool businesses and governments can use to incorporate the value of nature's services into planning and decision making.

-1.jpgThe tool, InVEST, is starting to be used around the world to include valuable but often ignored functions such as protecting water quality and preventing soil erosion into decisions about whether and how to alter natural landscapes. InVEST helps identify when leaving land alone - or steering use in certain directions - produces an economically more beneficial outcome n the long run than activities that are traditionally seen as the big money makers, such as draining wetlands, harvesting and selling trees, or building homes or shopping centers.

Read the New York Times article, "An Economist for Nature Calculates the Need for More Protection," to get a sense for what Daily, Polasky and colleagues are up to. And when you're done, check out this fun and insightful 3-minute video:

I loved the article you posted about nature, at this time in my life I am far away from home and working on a project that will help tourists visiting here in the future. I am living in a deep area of Ecuador quite near to the amazon jungle!! Here everything is green 360 days every year.

I am living in Banos Ecuador, the city is small and nice and I am loving the culture. Ok I hope you guys are doing well and can actually find a time to say hi to this crazy south american explorer lol.

Love
Ryan Johnson

Thank you for your comment and for the work you're doing! Please share the Big Question video with others you think may be interested.

great going mate, keep this growing

I like this article a lot. Your views are much like mine and I really like how your content creates interest and makes you think.

Thanks! Please share the video with others - a great way to spread the message.

I enjoyed the information in your article. I like how you laid it all out so clearly. There’s no way to mistake what you’re thinking. I like this topic and I hope to read more.

Thanks for the feedback! Please share the video with others who might be interested.